Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 on Linux/Wine

Hello everyone,

I hope this has not been posted before (searched, but did not find an entry about it).

I really like this program, I also like ver. 3 of it, but this one is much nicer. It seems to work alright on Wine but then just shuts down for no apparent reason.

Has anyone managed to get it working properly on Linux?

Thanks!

— Nanthiel

09-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was the latest discussion on this subject.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...nder-wine.html
09-10-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you! But I'm afraid it's no help. Apparently, noone has got the thing working yet. =/
09-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use Pentax software since I find digiKam vastly superior. But, I do run some other Windows programs under wine. Sometimes I have been able to work around some issues by going into the wine configurator and changing to a different version of Windows. For example, try Windows 2000 instead of XP.

But again, what does Pentax software have that digiKam doesn't?

09-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax software has Pentax colours and tones. And Digikam is a bit slow in my opinion (compared to other open/free software). Also not fan of the interface. I'm settling between Raw Therapee and Rawstudio at the moment. Thinking of dcraw (pure, not uraw) aswell, in collaboration with GIMP... not sure yet.

Also, I've tried all wine version settings, doesn't seem to help. =/
09-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
Pentax software has Pentax colours and tones. And Digikam is a bit slow in my opinion (compared to other open/free software). Also not fan of the interface. I'm settling between Raw Therapee and Rawstudio at the moment. Thinking of dcraw (pure, not uraw) aswell, in collaboration with GIMP... not sure yet.

Also, I've tried all wine version settings, doesn't seem to help. =/
Have you tried the 1.0 betas? I am currently running 1.0.0-beta4 and it has no speed problems at all. Also, the interface was completely reworked from the old .9x versions. But, whatever works for you is what counts.

As far as getting Pentax software to work, maybe you can try some dll overrides. But, you are probably better off going to the wine forums first:

WineHQ Forums View Forum - Wine Users
09-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have XP on the same disk on a different primary partition. Can I steal dlls from it, and which ones would I steal?

Edit: yes I've tried the betas. I mean I don't totally dislike the application, I just like Raw Therapee and Rawstudio (and dcraw+gimp) a lot more... but I think I like Pentax's Utility 4 -even more-. So that's why I want it to work. =)

09-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
I have XP on the same disk on a different primary partition. Can I steal dlls from it, and which ones would I steal?
I wouldn't use the word steal, since in your case it would be legal. But to know which ones to use I would refer you again to the wine forums for guidance.
09-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okays, thanks. *goes to Wine forums*
02-19-2022, 06:16 AM   #10

Pentax Camera Utility Linux Mint 20.1 xfce - done!

... oh no: a type-error and now that silly nickname ...

Hello all together :-)
Maybe i'm a bit late with that answer, but today i finished several tries for the installation sucessfully.
At first i created a folder namend S-SW99 to home/download. Into this i copied the folders and files from the Orig-CD.
My thought was, to use a wine-version, that has av. the age of PCU, so i tried the installation-automatic of play on linux (POL) für PhShop CS4 - okay, that failed, but it shows me the download of wine 3.0.3.
So i started the installation within POL "install another programm" and the dialog offered "another wine-version" - i choosed 3.0.3.
By the way: i selected the 32-bit-installation-routine.
The main aspect of installation to me was the fact, that the installation-file ist NOT setup.exe on the upper level of CD (as we were used to use when we were Windows-slaves). One of the folders ist named "BIN" and there is only 1 file: "INSTPUT041.EXE". When POL asks for the installation-exe-file, i selected this one - and it works.
POL asks for Starters and offeres two - i used both and one only starts an explorer-window; don't know the purpuse. I deleted that starter - But attention! Do not delete it from the shell of POL, that will kill the whole new installation! It ist to removed in the further dialog of settings (appears on the left side, when one Programm is selected)
I didn't test everything, but it seems to work, inclusive the eternity-during-saving of files. And it is a bit tricky to find the jpg.- or DNG-files: the most upper level is "/", then open /home - [username] - media (i use a seperated partition for Data) (of course this partition has to be activated / hang in / eingehängt) ... and so on, to find the picture-files.
After all, it is possible to makle a finetuning: Start POL, klick on "configurate wine" and an typical windows-designed dialog with several registers/ notebooks starts; one is "desktop-integration" an it allows to size the text from preselected 8 to 9 (or 10 - maybe too large). You can also switch the colors of highlighting, backgrounds and so on (that is not as useable as in windows itself; you have to click like the world's champion of clicking).
Something forgotten? - Probably yes, but i've forgot, what it is.
So: good luck :-)
... and i will never come back to here (i fear your posts with loud laughing at me: In 2022 an installation-guide for a 2009-programm ... well ... but it happens. ;-)