Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Batch edit of exif to add copyright

Later today I have to start putting together hundreds of images for use by a group I'm supporting. My charity doesn't extend to giving them unfettered control of my images, so I'd like to add a copyright notice to the exif file. A batch operation is highly desired, obviously...

Any suggestions? I have Adobe Bridge, Photoshop, the Pentax software, etc. Haven't had a chance to really take a snoop through the documentation yet and see if a batch edit of the exif is in the cards.

Fastest, simple, and easiest is best...

Thanks

09-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Later today I have to start putting together hundreds of images for use by a group I'm supporting. My charity doesn't extend to giving them unfettered control of my images, so I'd like to add a copyright notice to the exif file. A batch operation is highly desired, obviously...

Any suggestions? I have Adobe Bridge, Photoshop, the Pentax software, etc. Haven't had a chance to really take a snoop through the documentation yet and see if a batch edit of the exif is in the cards.

Thanks
Mac or PC?

edit, I just checked Lightroom can do it. Just select all the images in Grid view and add the copyright info to the metadata section in the library tab. They have a free trial version for both Mac and PC. Plus it is a kick ass application to boot.

Last edited by mtroute; 09-10-2009 at 10:17 AM.
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Bridge, you just need to go to Menu>Tools>Create Metadata Template; set up the copyright infomation and save the template. Once you have that set-up then you select/highlight the folder or images you want to apply it to and return to Menu>Tools>Append Metadata>select template.
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote

Lightroom does this for me automatically when I import photos. Enters my copyright, creator info, my web site, phone number, etc.

Will

09-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #5

Lightroom's trial version is awesome. 30 days, fully operational and no watermarks.
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Since no answer on PC or Mac --- for PC's running XP or higher;
Microsoft Professional Photography: Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2

Select all the images, right click, select photo-info, select edit all checkbox, add your name into "artist", click add copyright - bada bing, bada boom, bada bang. Done.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
09-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye can be done in Adobe Bridge dead easy, as well detailed by MacGirl.

09-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
Using Bridge, you just need to go to Menu>Tools>Create Metadata Template; set up the copyright infomation and save the template. Once you have that set-up then you select/highlight the folder or images you want to apply it to and return to Menu>Tools>Append Metadata>select template.
Thanks. It didn't work quite that way for me but you got me pointed in the right direction.

I'm using CS2 (legal, not pirated, so all the tools should be there). I don't have the above mentioned option in my version - no "Create Metadata Template" option in Tools. Adobe Help Center was my friend. The way I had to create the template was to select an image, go to File --> Info. Then edit the information in the info fields to reflect what I wanted, THEN use the option of saving that as a metadata template. After that... I was off to the races.

Thanks mucho. BTW, I'll also go look at the Microsoft software out of curiosity; thanks for pointing me at that as well.
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #9

This is a good page to look at for adding a watermark in CS4. At least a place to start.

Create A Photoshop Action To Watermark Your Images - Photoshop Tutorial | PhotoshopSupport.com
09-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed can even be done in PS - just record an action and perform the adjustment on the image's info (under Camera Data - Copyright) and stop recording. Then it the command can be automated for a batch of selected files - done and dusted in a few clicks...
05-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

A little slow on the uptake here as I am just getting around to wanting to include copyright info in a bloated image library. Is there a method which is fastest for adding a simple copyright data line to the exif info of thousands of images at one time across multiple directories? I have all of the tools discussed in this thread.
05-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

A little slow on the uptake here as I am just getting around to wanting to include copyright info in a bloated image library. Is there a method which is fastest for adding a simple copyright data line to the exif info of thousands of images at one time across multiple directories (but still under one parent so being able to choose the parent and apply the fax to all within would be fine)? I have all of the tools discussed in this thread.
05-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #13

I'm going to guess that the answer to my question is that Lightroom offers the only way to do it, by re-importing the entire parent directory after setting up LR to add the data. All of the other methods seem to require specific file choices.
05-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brookefox Quote
I'm going to guess that the answer to my question is that Lightroom offers the only way to do it, by re-importing the entire parent directory after setting up LR to add the data. All of the other methods seem to require specific file choices.
You don't have to reimport anything in Lightroom. Just create a collection of all the images you want to apply the same copyright data to. In the Library module, select one image and enter the correct data in the IPTC copyright field. Then right-click and choose Metadata Presets>Copy metadata and check the appropriate box(ex) in the window that appears. Click on the Copy button. Then select all in your collection, right-click, and choose Metadata Presets>Paste metadata.
Done.

M
05-04-2013, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course you could use ExifToolGUI and enter the following commands on the files.

exiftool -copyright="Your Name" -m -overwrite_original_in_place -P

and

exiftool -Artist="Your Name" -m -overwrite_original_in_place -P

All you need is the free ExifTool and ExifToolGUI

ExifToolGUI

Once the software is installed

1 - select the file(s)
2 - Enter the command
3 - observe the change.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-04-2013 at 03:29 PM.