Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Slide Developing - Disappearing E6 labs

Hello,

I recently got back from a trip with 3 rolls of Velvia requiring development. I usually go to a place in Toronto called El Pro, which is located on Elm St. and Yonge St., right beside Ryerson University (...and Zanzibar). I've always gone to El Pro because of their nice service, and because the guys at Aden, which is directly across the street, are fairly rude. Wanting speedy turnaround, I remembered seeing a sign on Aden's window two weeks ago that claimed they have "1-Hour E-6 now available". I called Aden to inquire how much this costs, as El Pro charges $12 + tax for a single roll with mounting, and to my surprise, Aden advised me that their lab no longer provides E-6 processing.

Does anyone see a similar pattern developing where they live? I'm quite happy with Elpro for the moment, and the lady who owns the place knows me by name. However, I'm afraid of the day they stop doing E-6. I'm aware of virtually no lab aside from them that does the processing internally. Sending my photos by mail to another lab, such as Kodaks, isn't something I'm really looking forward to.

Stupid digital

09-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the U.S., I would mail it to Dewayne's in Kansas Black and white film processing/developing and printing - Dwayne's Photo Service - Parsons, Kansas

Their prices are competitive and the do E6 and are the only one that does Kodachrome.
09-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been down to 1 local shop and they relocated a few blocks about 6 months ago and I don't know if they still do E6 or not. However, it has been about 7 years since I have relied on fast turn around of E6 for work and have only used it intermittently since then. I used to shoot tons of it. Digital and LCD projectors have been the death nails for E6.
09-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears inevitable that mail order processing will soon become the only option for most of us.
Perhaps PentaxForums could add a review section for photofinishers.

Chris

09-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Downtown Camera they still do E-6
i have a list of a few other places if u need it in toronto