Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Camera Raw Settings for k20d

Hello,

I looking for Camera Raw Settings for k20d. Do anyone know or use ACR 4.4?

Or how to create Color settings for k20d in my CS3 ACR.

Thanks.

09-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to see if the mods can move this to the SLR thread, I think you'll get more response that way. For me, I'm not sure what you're asking. I just got a K20 but I don't think there any RAW settings in the camera; do you mean RAW settings for that camera in Bridge? In fact, I don't know that ACR has "settings" per se; I think data are data, it's all there and then you can manipulate it any way you want. I tried at one point to build some presets for my K100, but I found too much variation from image to image to be much use. Some of the old hands might have more insight. Good luck,
Brian
Brian
09-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #3

ACE4.4 is fine. You take it from there. nevdertheless the auto setting is very capable and may do most of your processing. Irt certainly si a good starting point.
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only settings that alter the raw image are aperture, ISO and shutter speed, no?

09-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the problem here is that no one (myself included) quite understands the question. You shouldn't need any special setting jst to use ACR 4.4 with the K20D - it should work fine right out of the box, as they say. If you don't *like* the results very much, then you can certainly customize the results, but everyone has different perceptions of these things. Settings you like might not be settings someone else likes. And settings you like on one image won't be settings you'll like on another. So if you're looking for some settings you an simply apply to all your images to make them look better in your eyes, there really isn't anyone than can give you that.
09-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Ok, I will try to explain my question.

When I open PEF file with FastStone I see embedded Preview and it look OK.

When I open same picture in PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 or 3 I see same colored picture.

But when I use Adobe Software or other Raw converter they don't show me correct colors.

I know that the cameraraw can use specially color profile to correct this problem.

Now I open PEF pictures with PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 and resave them in Jpg or Tiff and then use Photoshop from other adjustment.

Sorry for my written English.
09-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The other programs aren't showing the RAW data at all - they are just showing the JPEG preview that the cameras embedded. It's no more "correct" of a way to process the RAW data than wha ACR is doing. But I believe you are right, there are profiles that are designed to more closely mimic what the camera does, although I don't know where you get them

Before spending a lot of time searching for them, though, you might consider doing a "blind" test to see if you actually *prefer* the camera's rendering to ACR's. Right now, you're biasing the results by seeing the camera's conversion first, and then expecting ACR to match and considering it not "correct" if it doesn't. But it could well happen that if your saw ACR's first, you'd like that better. Chances are if you do the test o a bunch of images, you'll find it around 50/50 which you actually prefer, but if doing the test convinces you that you consistently like the pentax rendering better, than by alls means, hunt down that profile. I think it might be only for DNG?

09-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Unregistered User

I did many test to compare pictures between PENTAX Digital Camera Utility and Cameraraw.

And I know the result for different needs I use different software.

FASTSTONE - only for resize and crop or for little bright corrections.

But for professional result I use Photoshop.

PENTAX Digital Camera Utility - fast quality convert to JPG with **** compression

When I use GREY paper for correct color temperature is without meaning which software I'll use.
09-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #9

tateventzo, I am even more confused since reading your last post. As Marc has writen there is NO correct colour. I take your mention of grey card to mean that you photograph a grey card to get a reference for white balance. This is fine.
As to whether you like or dislike the ACR rendition of your images, have you had your monitor profiled? If not what you are seeing on your monitor may be nothing like the real images. Have you examined the images on other systems?
Use the ACR 4.4 or the Adobe Standard profiles - chose the one you like. You can fine-tune the result to your satisfaction.
09-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand your question.

QuoteOriginally posted by tateventzo Quote
Ok, I will try to explain my question.

When I open PEF file....
May I suggest that you use DNG, not PEF as your RAW format?

See if that helps... Cheers...
09-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Michaelina2:

No, I use PEF format.

photog:

My monitor have color profile. Because I use it my PC for pre-press. I use many different computers to look at pictures. At home, I use laptop with LCD in my office I use CRT Monitor and pictures look alike.

These days I will post here some picture for example to see what for I talking about.
09-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tateventzo Quote
Michaelina2:
No, I use PEF format.
We understand you currently use PEF. We are suggesting you switch to DNG, as I believe the custom camera profiles only work with DNG.
09-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Unregistered User

Marc Sabatella:

I'll try.

If I convert with PPL4, will it work?
09-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Should, but I haven't tried - I don't have ACR. Just Google for info about the DNG custom camera profiles to see if there is anythign special you need to install or do - simpy shooting DNG won't necessarily make ACR use a different profile all by itself.
09-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
as I believe the custom camera profiles only work with DNG.
no, Adobe profiles (cusom made or provided by Adobe or extracted from native in-camera DNG) will work with .PEF files...