Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Photoshop Elements 8

I see Elements 8 is out now.
Has anyone tried it?
Any comments or comparisons with version 7 ?

09-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i played around with it last week at my buddy's work. i didn't see that big of difference b/w version 7 to justify the $
09-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I upgraded from PSE 6 to 8 as my old computer broke down and had to reload everything into a new machine.
Have been using PSE 8 for a couple of days now. The controls have been somewhat rearranged, but so far nothing really significant. Of course you get the latest RAW converter with the software, but PSE 6 and 7 users can load it from Adobes pages anyhow.
No big deal.
09-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Raw advantage

Adobe is including ACR 5.5 with Elements 8. That gives us almost all the editing tools of Lightroom including neutral density gradients and exposure brushes. Those are great tools even if you never use Elements. I've used Recompose with CS 4 and it allows you to squish a photo but protect the important parts so they don't get distorted. I don't use it often but occasionally it's invaluable. The new merge feature looks a lot like a HDR function.

The organizer now has face recognition and geotagging. I've used those in iPhoto and find them nice. Identify one face and the software will find possible matches for organizing. And since cameras now have video recording built in, it's nice to have the same program catalog that along with photos.

I wouldn't call 8 a no brainer upgrade from Elements 7 but it looks worth the cost.

09-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
I see the new version of Google Picasa (3.5) also now has face recognition and geo tagging.
I have been trying the face recognition feature of Picasa. It correctly matched photos of my 82 year old mother with a black and white scan of her when she was 22. Amazing!
09-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Applies to US and Canada and those who have mailing boxes in the USA ...HURRY

Adobe pre-order special on Element8

Extra rebate coupon

source:redflagdeals
09-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You do not need to buy Elements 8 to get the latest RAW converter.
ACR 5.5. is available free of charge for Photoshop 6 and 7 users, see Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Camera Raw 5.5 update
09-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

Still downloading it.
It is huge with 1.06 Gb.
I wonder what's inside...