Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you use OS X on your PC if it would be fully legal and supported?
Yes 3949.37%
No 3139.24%
Maybe 911.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #1

Mac OS usage poll

How many of you would use OS X if Apple would officially release it to be installed on all systems?

I currently use it partly legally as in I own a full copy of both 10.5 and 10.6 but I have 10.5 on a PMac G4 and 10.6 on custom built quad core.

09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm already a Mac user so it wouldn't make THAT much difference to me (I think Apple's hardware is superior in most cases compared to what's available for PCs).

Having said that, the ONE thing that I keep hearing from non-Mac users is the cost of the Mac hardware relative to PCs. I think this is largely a misconception when you really start digging down into the nut-and-bolts of what you get with a MAC vs. a PC but, nonetheless, I think the adaption rate of the OS X operating system would skyrocket if it could be had on cheaper hardware.

I'm no Mac zealot either...in my "day" job as a color management consultant, my time is spent equally between Mac and Windows OS (many of the high-end inkjet RIP solutions are still Windows-based). They both have their place I suppose but almost without question, if a piece of software that was previously available only on Windows now becomes available for Mac, it's almost instantly easier to use and often more reliable (the statement that "it just works" is oft-repeated on a Mac+OSX).

Anyway, it would be a good thing to see OS X officially supported on non-Apple hardware but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon given the amount of profit Apple sees from their hardware sales. If it WERE to happen, I'd think we'd see the cost of the OS (the recent Snow Leopard update was just*$29*!) shoot up to recover Apple's lost hardware sales.

Just my 3 slices of Apple worth!

Terry
09-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yea I agree that mac hardware is better. My G4 was made in 2000 and it was up until Snow Leopard came out running the newest OS. How many windows users can truthfully say that without swapping out major components can still run Vista or Windows 7 on a almost 10 year old hardware. the only thing non stock in the G4 is a 1Ghz processor and SATA card. And still running Aperture and CS4 pretty quick.
09-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Without getting into a debate over Win vs OSX, the software robustness and hardware quality of Apple did get me, as well as my graphic designer wife who only used Macs in uni and was convinced that she must have a Mac when she works independently... So I did it for love too, but haven't regretted it yet.

And I definitely don't miss all the Yes/No and OK/Cancel prompts that just keep popping up on PCs.

09-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

Being in graphics I have both systems. And I use the PC way more than the mac. With the RIPs we have I can control them more efficiently on the PC side.
09-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I strictly use PC because I'm an ex Mac Addict and mine is built by me so I know what's in it.

As for this;
QuoteQuote:
Ash.....And I definitely don't miss all the Yes/No and OK/Cancel prompts that just keep popping up on PCs
If you're knowledgeable enough you won't see those. I don't. But then computers are my profession.
09-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rinoaa52r Quote
Yea I agree that mac hardware is better. My G4 was made in 2000 and it was up until Snow Leopard came out running the newest OS. How many windows users can truthfully say that without swapping out major components can still run Vista or Windows 7 on a almost 10 year old hardware. the only thing non stock in the G4 is a 1Ghz processor and SATA card. And still running Aperture and CS4 pretty quick.
Ok...fast forward to the Intel days. What's different? Why is an Apple with Intel bits worth so much more than, say, a Dell?

In my opinion, it's more about how the OS is set up that allows old hardware to be used. "Up until Vista" older computers could run XP, just as "up until Snow Leopard" your PPC could run the newest OS X release.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Without getting into a debate over Win vs OSX, the software robustness and hardware quality of Apple did get me, as well as my graphic designer wife who only used Macs in uni and was convinced that she must have a Mac when she works independently... So I did it for love too, but haven't regretted it yet.

And I definitely don't miss all the Yes/No and OK/Cancel prompts that just keep popping up on PCs.
You can disable the popups Win7 allows complete control over User Prompts.

With all that said, I would buy OS X for PCs if it would come out and fully support all the buttons (like media controls) on the computer and support peripherals AND play games. Yep, must play games. Otherwise, you'd still need to dual boot Windows...

09-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I strictly use PC because I'm an ex Mac Addict and mine is built by me so I know what's in it.

As for this; If you're knowledgeable enough you won't see those. I don't. But then computers are my profession.
What made you an ex Mac addict?

Point taken about popups - I've not seen the option to disallow prompts because all the PCs I use are at work, and aren't customisable by terminal users (I'm not the administrator)...
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Banned

I certainly would. win 7 and OSX running side by side.... yes please. the funny thing is, how apple likes to go on about windows being on mac, but its not our fault or our equipment that wont allow us to use OSX on our PC's. Apple will likely never do this. the simple fact is, that having OSX legally supported only on apple hardware is the only thing they have to keep people buying their hardware. they lost 95% of their exclusivity when they switched to intel based systems. now their hardware is really no different from anyone else's on the inside. if they give up OSX why would most people buy an apple computer? they know this, thats why the keep playing up the "run windows on your mac" crap. I mean really, think about it. if you could get a well spec'd windows based PC for much cheaper and then run OSX and have access to all those wonderful media and graphics editing and creating applications that are used widely in the industry, why in the world would you by the overpriced apple hardware? this is en even bigger deal for those buying for a company that specializes in these fields.

apple wont give up OSX. they would have nothing left but overpriced hardware and be no different than any other PC manufacturer out there.
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What made you an ex Mac addict?

Point taken about popups - I've not seen the option to disallow prompts because all the PCs I use are at work, and aren't customisable by terminal users (I'm not the administrator)...
Gotcha...locked down for the losssssssssss...
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I certainly would. win 7 and OSX running side by side.... yes please. the funny thing is, how apple likes to go on about windows being on mac, but its not our fault or our equipment that wont allow us to use OSX on our PC's. Apple will likely never do this. the simple fact is, that having OSX legally supported only on apple hardware is the only thing they have to keep people buying their hardware. they lost 95% of their exclusivity when they switched to intel based systems. now their hardware is really no different from anyone else's on the inside. if they give up OSX why would most people buy an apple computer? they know this, thats why the keep playing up the "run windows on your mac" crap. I mean really, think about it. if you could get a well spec'd windows based PC for much cheaper and then run OSX and have access to all those wonderful media and graphics editing and creating applications that are used widely in the industry, why in the world would you by the overpriced apple hardware? this is en even bigger deal for those buying for a company that specializes in these fields.

apple wont give up OSX. they would have nothing left but overpriced hardware and be no different than any other PC manufacturer out there.
People love the image Apple gives them (hipster/coffee shop/writing )

I would wager that people would continue to buy Apple products even if OS X became "open platform" just for the light-up logo and case.

Custom built desktop running OS X...want.
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Banned

oh im sure they would, but the overall exclusivity would be lost, and I think its clear that their dominance in these media fields would die. they cant risk that. those hipsters and general ******s will of course still pony up for that apple logo.

I remember, about 3 years ago I was in a Barnes & Noble, at the magazine section and there were these two serious ******s sipping the starbucks they just bought inside the store, practically masturbating over their new ipods. they were both carrying macbook pros as well. I wanted to kick both of them in the balls, but I wasn't sure they had any. and I carry an ipod...

I like a lot of the things apple does. I switched from firefox to safari.(ive been using firefox practically from day one) I actually really like itunes. (but the store is still way overpriced) and I was using media monkey (extraordinary program that one is for sure) I have three ipods (including the new ipod nano) but man, some people are just plum crazy when it comes to fanboyism. yea, apple loves that way too much.

I cant say w@nker.
09-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Ok...fast forward to the Intel days. What's different? Why is an Apple with Intel bits worth so much more than, say, a Dell?
This fallacy has been disproven like a million times...
09-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's that people want something just to have it. To keep it photo-related, how many times have people wanted a Canon or Nikon because it's a Canon or Nikon?

Marketing sows deeply into us. Apple makes you believe their products are better because of "appearance and interface" not because of actual function. Put a cool, smooth, face on a regular music player, and you have an ipod Besides the Touch, what can an ipod do that a Zune, Sansa, etc can't? Syncing with any computer, without itune--oops...not that

Going back on topic...I do feel that OS X is good for the casual user but I feel "left out" when I can't change things to suit me. I tried Ubuntu...really hard to use. OS X is just a spiffied up Linux. If something doesn't work on OS X, I can't figure it out. Windows...no problem.

But that's kind of the reason I want OS X...so I can learn it and use it easily

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute:
This fallacy has been disproven like a million times...
You're kidding, right?

PC vs. Mac

Straight from Intel. Show me a better source.
09-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
@ryan My custom build is all off the shelf parts.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L motherboard
Xeon equivelant of the Q6600
4Gb OCZ memory
EVGA 8800GTS 512mb Video
HDD and DVDRW are SATA

all buyable parts from newegg

the only thing I had a problem with is that it is a PITA to find a WIFI card compatible with OSX.

sorry if I started an arguement. It wasn't ment.
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rinoaa52r Quote
@ryan My custom build is all off the shelf parts.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L motherboard
Xeon equivelant of the Q6600
4Gb OCZ memory
EVGA 8800GTS 512mb Video
HDD and DVDRW are SATA

all buyable parts from newegg

the only thing I had a problem with is that it is a PITA to find a WIFI card compatible with OSX.

sorry if I started an arguement. It wasn't ment.
so you are running OSX I presume? I thought of building my own and shoe-horning a copy of OSX onto it, but in the end I just went with a new notebook and running windows 7. (my specs are pretty much identical to those of the lowest priced macbook, the white one. for which I considered on the buy list at the time) I would love to be able to run OSX on it as well, but the nearly 400 dollar price difference (at the time, my lenovo was on sale) just didn't seem worth it.