Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sharpening problem...

Does anybody know how Camera RAW "sharpening" correlates with Photoshop USM and Smart Sharpen?

I must be doing something wrong, because all three sharpening modes in the images below look the same to me with sharpening amount @ 100 and radius @ 1.0:

RAW

USM

USM + SS

Shouldn't there be apparent sharpening difference between the three, or at least in the third one with Smart Sharpen?
Brian

10-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My impression (no indepth study or anything) is in line with what you've found. ACR seems to sharpen at the default redius 1 pixel, which in my mind is too large a radius for web publishing. Same with the "Sharper" resize method if you're resampling an image. I can't comment on smart sharpen as I don't use it.

In a well exposed and low noise photo I tend to sharpen around 0.1-0.2 pixels with USM with 250-450% strength. Maybe you know this already...but IMHO the key to USM is the radius, which needs to change mostly based on the lens (how much microcontrast is captured) and the content of the image (presence or absence of fine details and textures). If the radius is too high or you sharpen too much, you get halo artifacts.

Here's an example of an image resized (bicubic) sharpened with about 0.2px radius @ 350%:

10-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

The USM settings that I use, recommended by Scott Kelby(editor, Photoshop user mag) for moderate sharpening are: Amount: 120%, Radius: 1, Threshold: 3. These settings have given me very good results.
10-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me, Camera Raw produces less impressive sharpening results (both in intensity and in 100% crop aesthetics) than PS. Plus I'd also like to leave sharpening to the last step, so I don't adjust sharpening in ACR. I do my editing in PS, then normally use either USM or SmartSharpen at 100%, rad 1.2 and thres 5-7 to effect.

10-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
d.Bradley,
Well, I tried USM @ .2 and 250%, and it still isn't showing any significant difference:
USM #2
10-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ash, you don't do two-step sharpening, using USM for capture, then edit, then sharpen for output?
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 10-04-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: correction
10-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sharpening using the above methods won't give you a discernible difference in those small 600px web images. If you zoom to 100% and do before and afters, you will see the difference.

What are you trying to do with your sharpening?

If you are looking to sharpen those out of focus areas due to depth of field, PP sharpening won't help.

10-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
these are 100% crops

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Sharpening using the above methods won't give you a discernible difference in those small 600px web images. If you zoom to 100% and do before and afters, you will see the difference.
Those are 100% crops from a 360dpi 13x8.5" sharpened images, there isn't any more resolution to see. If the sharpening doesn't show up at this level, it doesn't show up, correct?
Brian
10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Those are 100% crops from a 360dpi 13x8.5" sharpened images, there isn't any more resolution to see. If the sharpening doesn't show up at this level, it doesn't show up, correct?
Brian
My bad. I didn't know those were crops.

Are you familiar with the snapshot button in the history pallet in PS? It looks like a button with a small camera. When you click it, it takes a snapshot of your current work.

Try opening a raw, with no sharpening, then apply a sharpening method.
Take a snapshot.
Click back to the initial open raw file in the snapshot history and start over with a new sharpening method.
Take another snapshot.

You should have the original file, and 2 snapshots with 2 different sharpening methods to compare. Now you can compare any versions you want. Zoom to 100% and click between the different snapshots.

Are you seeing anything now?
10-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Brian
I didn't realize they were 100% crops either. My example of sharpening is used to bring back the details lost when a larger image is resampled to web size.

Check out this link on sharpening...it's one of the better articles I've read, and even talks about what sharpening looks like at 100% (or magnified) crops.

True detail vs. fake sharpness | Photoclub Alpha
10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ash, you don't do two-step sharpening, using USM for capture, then edit, then sharpen for output?
Brian
Hi Brian - I have a less is more approach and attempt to get the image as sharp as possible in camera without the need for extra sharpening.

Innately I do have a 2 step approach - only it's the default sharpening by ACR (the 25% detail amount), then edit, and SmartSharpen/USM last of all.

Must admit, haven't tried USM then edit then sharpen again as a workflow, but I'm always weary of oversharpening...
10-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi Brian - I have a less is more approach and attempt to get the image as sharp as possible in camera without the need for extra sharpening.

Innately I do have a 2 step approach - only it's the default sharpening by ACR (the 25% detail amount), then edit, and SmartSharpen/USM last of all.

Must admit, haven't tried USM then edit then sharpen again as a workflow, but I'm always weary of oversharpening...
I suspect you are right. I just labored through this post on contrast that is a follow-on and updates Bruce Fraser's 3-Step Sharpening method; between the pre-sharpening contrast work to get the image ready for sharpening, and then the 3-steps of capture/creative/output sharpening, I got so bolloxed up I gave up for a double martini. I'm going to apply Occam's Razor in the future: the simplest post process is the best post process, entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Brian