Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Batch RAW converting with the Pentax software

I wanted to quickly convert the white balance of about 80 RAW photos using the Pentax Photo Laboratory, but can't figure out how to do them all at once. I tried selecting all in Pentax Photo Browser, than opening the Laboratory tool, but it only seems to change and save the first photo. And when I am done with that, I have more tweaks to only some of the photos, so how do I save them all as RAW again with the new white balance, for tweaking later, before finally saving them as JPGs?

Thanks, in advance.

10-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Selecting them all and then opening the converter should work, I've done it. Try a smaller quantity and see if that works. My understanding of the software is what you do to one you do to all, so changing the white balance can be done. If you alter anything else, it will be done to all images.

You can't save to RAW, none of the programs out there allow it.

I'd suggest saving to tiff (it's loss less ), and then doing your edits to the few you need to tweak.

Hope this helps.
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
And when I am done with that, I have more tweaks to only some of the photos, so how do I save them all as RAW again with the new white balance, for tweaking later, before finally saving them as JPGs?
You do it by getting better software - PPL can't do anything like this. You can't batch apply settings (like WB) to the RAW file and then go back and tweak settings further, like you can in more modern programs (eg, all Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom, ACDSee Pro, Aperture, Lightzone, etc). All you can do with PPL is convert files one at a time or batch convert to JPEG with the same exact settings applied to all images.

PPL is to RAW processing workflow what MS-DOS is to graphical user interfaces.
10-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

Do you use Adobe Bridge? If so, you can use Adobe Bridge to do batch conversions but maybe not how you might first think. If you own Bridge, you open the first photo in Adobe Camera RAW (should be the default application that opens when you launch a file from Bridge, if not, change your preferences to make it so). After opening the file, make the appropriate changes to the white balance. After you click Done to accept the changes, you will then select all of the images in Bridge that you want to apply the same settings. Right-click on the images and select Develop Settings to flip out another menu and simply choose, Previous Conversion, this will apply whatever changes you made to the first image to all of the selected ones. These changes are cumulative, so you don't want to apply changes to ones you're already modified.

Sorry if you don't own Bridge. It's worth every penny as it comes free with most Adobe applications.

10-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Selecting them all and then opening the converter should work, I've done it. Try a smaller quantity and see if that works. My understanding of the software is what you do to one you do to all, so changing the white balance can be done. If you alter anything else, it will be done to all images.

You can't save to RAW, none of the programs out there allow it.

I'd suggest saving to tiff (it's loss less ), and then doing your edits to the few you need to tweak.

Hope this helps.
I tried to do that, but it seemed it was only applying the change to the first one. Maybe I just didn't see that it did it to all. How can I then select all these RAW files once the white balance is converted, and save them all at once to JPGs?

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You do it by getting better software - PPL can't do anything like this. You can't batch apply settings (like WB) to the RAW file and then go back and tweak settings further, like you can in more modern programs (eg, all Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom, ACDSee Pro, Aperture, Lightzone, etc). All you can do with PPL is convert files one at a time or batch convert to JPEG with the same exact settings applied to all images.

PPL is to RAW processing workflow what MS-DOS is to graphical user interfaces.
I knew the Pentax software was pretty crappy, but that's all I have right now. I have Adobe Camera RAW but only as a plug in for Photoshop CS2, which doesn't appear to recognize the Pentax RAW files. I think I need a newer Photoshop. I want to get Lightroom 2 soon!
10-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"How can I then select all these RAW files once the white balance is converted, and save them all at once to JPGs?"

For grins I did a quick set of pef's with PPL.
Selected all in PPB, clicked the PPL Icon on the top of the page.
I adjusted the WB and then clicked save. All images were processed with the same WB. I used Version 3.61
In PPL your 'save as' options need to be set before hitting the save button. Those settings can be found across the top of the Main window. I think the default setting is Jpg. If this is confusing, reply to this thread and I'll get some screen shots of what I'm writing about.

PPB and PPL are very clunky and not very versatile to use. They work very well for conversion of pef's. Now I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying this but; if an image is not shot correctly, you have a better chance of a good conversion using the manufacturers software. Better color and less artifacts. When I screw up 'Real' good, I always revert to PPL to try to save the shot. 50/50 chance it will.
10-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
"How can I then select all these RAW files once the white balance is converted, and save them all at once to JPGs?"

For grins I did a quick set of pef's with PPL.
Selected all in PPB, clicked the PPL Icon on the top of the page.
I adjusted the WB and then clicked save. All images were processed with the same WB. I used Version 3.61
In PPL your 'save as' options need to be set before hitting the save button. Those settings can be found across the top of the Main window. I think the default setting is Jpg. If this is confusing, reply to this thread and I'll get some screen shots of what I'm writing about.

PPB and PPL are very clunky and not very versatile to use. They work very well for conversion of pef's. Now I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying this but; if an image is not shot correctly, you have a better chance of a good conversion using the manufacturers software. Better color and less artifacts. When I screw up 'Real' good, I always revert to PPL to try to save the shot. 50/50 chance it will.
I guess this is the part I am confused about. I did everything up to this point, and had it set to JPG, but when I went to hit save, it only asked for the name of the first picture of all the ones selected, and gave me no indication that it was going to save all of them with the new WB setting. There was no way to confirm. Maybe I didn't go through with it because I didn't think it would save all of them, but it doesn't give an option of renaming anything other than the first.
10-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It won't ask for renaming, it just converts. After you hit save you'll get a small window showing the progress. If you watch it the file name will change when a new jpg is created. It will have the same name as the pef file but will be in jpg format

10-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
.. when I went to hit save, it only asked for the name of the first picture of all the ones selected, and gave me no indication that it was going to save all of them with the new WB setting.
Sounds like only one RAW got loaded into PPL. When multiple images are loaded, PPL doesn't give you the option to name any of the files to be saved.

Give it another try. Select/highlight the images in PPB, then hit the PPL tab. This will launch PPL. Wait a while for PPL to load all the RAW files -- this isn't instantaneous, particularly if there are too many RAW files to load. The "preview" window of PPL should show the first image. Now check the bottom right corner of the "preview" window. If multiple images are loaded/available, two right most buttons, '>' and '>>|' should be blue and active, and we can cycle thru them all. Check if you can go to the next images(s). If you can, you are ready for batch processing.