Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 hdr

Anyone doing HDR using PhotoMatix shooting with the K7? If so how are the conversions coming out? ----stoge

10-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have done a lot of HDR recently with my k-7 and photomatix.

I have the user setting setup for bracketting with 0, +-0.6, +-1.3 EV which I find achieves excellent results. I did experiment with 0, +-1, +-2 EV but there was a very noticible increase in noise when processed and I didn't like the overdone HDR look.

I have the Photomatix plugin for Lightroom, which I find very convenient and I am very happy with the combination and results.

Here's a sample and check my flickr stream for more:
10-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Light Horseman, The noise factor was what I was wondering about. I've always been happy with my HDR's with my K20. I also have the Lightroom Plug in and find it very useful. It saves alot of time!----stoge
10-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Totally Agree with Light Horseman

Besides the noise, which Photomatix manages during conversion, you get so much more control. The K-7 HDR photos look like HDR, which is fine if that's what you want, but I prefer my HDR images to look like well exposed normal shots. The more extreme K-7 setting makes HDR look like it's from another planet. The lower setting still looks over-saturated to my eye.

This is the way I like to process HDR images

http://www.myporttownsend.com/

10-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #5

yes - photomatix can produce a lot of noise at times, but when used in conjuction with topaz adjust or noiseware noise reduction software - you can pretty much remove all noise. you can blow things out and make it look alien or you can go no nonsense and make the shots truly have a dynamic range. when i was making the decision to get a new rig i looked closely at the K7 because of its in camera abilities - but when it came down to it i knew i would still be using something for PP and MANY reviewers (including steves-digicams whose opinion i highly respect) said the K20 was possibly the best camera on the markey for HDR. so to me - the choice was clear. and i couldnt be more happy with it. sure - the k7 is the new kid on the block - but all it does is shoot video and i dont think i would ever once use that so...hence the K20.
10-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K20 really does a good job with HDR! I've gone to ISO 400 and the results were still decent. the noise is well controlled on the K20. My photos look very natural!-----Stoge
Attached Images