Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera RAW

OK, I'm a self-taught idiot when it comes to pp: I shoot in RAW and use FastStone and PS Elements 6 to process photos. I've gotten to the point where I really need to make some coherent decisions about my pp set up and image management strategy but that's probably a future thread.

What's on my mind right now is Camera Raw because of an exchange in another thread here.--to wit,
Me: Wait! There's a CA repair tool in the raw converter? Which raw converter?

Rich_A: Camera RAW has CA built in. It's the tab that looks like the stack of lens elements. Make sure to select either Highlight Edges or All Edges and zoom in to around 200% to really see what the heck is going on. Also, use ALT (for PC) or Option (for Mac) while dragging the sliders to eliminate other colors, this is a really useful way to use the tool.
So I went into PSE and, while I did find some neat stuff I had previously overlooked, I didn't find what he's talking about. Now I assume that when I open a RAW file in PSE, the image opens in Camera Raw--is that right? I also gather that what I've got is version 4.4.1--maybe the functionality he's talking about is in a more recent version? Can I upgrade the Camera Raw without upgrading PSE?

Man, this stuff is complicated once you scratch the surface!

10-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ACR and Photoshop Elements

There are two ways to access Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) in Elements, well three actually. Elements comes with a photo viewer/catalog. In Windows it's more or less bundled. On a Mac you get a copy of Adobe Bridge. Using either program to open your RAW files will open them up in ACR.

You should also be able to just double click on a .pef or .dmg file and have ACR open it. You may have to tell you system which program you want to open the files.

If you already have a file open in Elements and want to send it back to ACR for processing, Control+R (PC) or Command+R (Mac) will send the file to ACR.

BTW, I recommend getting Elements 8, which is due out next week. I contains the latest version of ACR (5.5), which gives you the editing tools included in Lightroom. Besides the extra Elements features, the ACR tools make the upgrade worth it on their own. You can do some great tweaks with ACR.
10-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
BTW, I recommend getting Elements 8, which is due out next week.
No need to wait. Its been out for a couple weeks now. A copy is on my desk. $69 after rebate at Newegg for a while longer.

Thanks for the tip on using the Cntrl+R to revert to ACR.
10-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, cowboy, that does help and that Cntrl+R tip was a great bonus. I'll probably go with Elements 8 but just to be clear, can I update ACR without upgrading PSE?

10-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

If you want to stick with ACR I cannot recommend Photoshop Lightroom enough. Especially as you start to think about your longterm workflow there is NOTHING that compares in my opinion. Get the trial and see what you think. I have some great training vids for it that I'd be happy to send your way if you're interested (gratis).

Some people have a preference other than ACR so they go another route, but I love lightroom and know many agree!

Chris
10-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
can I update ACR without upgrading PSE?
Yes, PSE 6 and 7 users can update to the latest version of ACR, see Adobe - Latest Product Updates
I donīt think there is anything that important in PSE 7 or 8 to justify the extra cost.
10-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and opinions, folks. I'll upgrade ACR and devote some focused attention to the PSE 8/Lightroom question. I know it's not a purely either/or though.