Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've built many computers. I would be shocked if you ever used more than 8 gigs of ram doing anything. Here is what i would recommend:

*2.8 ghz or higher dual or quad core (amd or intel... i use amd to keep cost down but intels are a bit faster)

*4-8 gigs of ram

*At the very MINIMUM a 7200 rpm hard drive. There are companies like western digital and fujitsu that make hard drives that run up to 15,000 rpms. the faster the rpm the faster your hard drive. you can also run a RAID array by using several hard drives that work together or go SSD (solid state disk). I would never store or spend hours editing photos on an SSD and personally don't see the need for them unless you are doing something incredibly hardcore.

*Entry level graphics card (in the $100-150 price range).

*several back up drives in the computer and also an external you keep in a location away from your house (in case of an emergency)

Unless you are doing some serious serious editing and production, you will be totally fine with a dual core cpu running around 3.0, 4 gigs of ram, and a 7200 rpm hard drive with a basic modern graphics card. No need to spend tons of money on something like this.

If you want some help piecing together a system PM me