Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adobe Camera Raw?

I've been reading alot on here lately about how it is better to shoot in RAW than JPEG. So, I decided to test it out and ran into some questions.

I have Photoshop CS2. It does not recognize .PEF files. It will recognize .DNG files though.

I have Lightroom 2. It recognizes both.

What is Adobe Camera Raw? From what I understand, it is a plugin for Photoshop. In order for it to recognize the PEF's, I would need a newer version of it, which would also require me to have a newer version of Photoshop, correct?

Is there a stand-alone version of ACR that will recognize the .PEF files? Like, a program all by itself for Windows OS.

Are there any differences between what you can do in ACR and Lightroom with the RAW files?

Which is better? DNG or PEF?

10-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd suggest browsing/searching the forum for discussion of DNG & PEF - it's been discussed many, many times. Basically, they contain exactly the same data, but in different containers.

Adobe Camera RAW is the part of Photoshop and LR that provides the non-destructive RAW processing facility. i don't think there's any way to run it standalone.
10-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've asked a few questions that have taken up big long threads, but most importantly:

You have a K-7 and K2000 - both need at least CS3 to be able to use your RAW images (I know, that's a major bummer - I had to do the same when I got my K20D).

Secondly, Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is the Photoshop add-on that allows you to tweak your RAW images whilst retaining as much dynamic range captured in the image as possible. I highly recommend shooting in RAW and using ACR in this regard, but would totally understand why one wouldn't because of the constantly upgrading software...

You can always shoot in DNG, getting very similar results as if you were shooting in PEF, but their files are a little larger...

DNG vs. PEF - big threads discussing this elsewhere - do a quick search to see...
Don't know much about Lightroom but ACR's fantastic.

edit: OK, Marc beat me to it...
10-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a chance to check out CS4 with Camera Raw. ACR looks very similar to what you can do in Lightroom 2 with Raw files. In fact, after using ACR, it's almost like Lightroom is the same thing for JPEG's, but that's just my first impression.

As always, thanks again for the informational replies. Gives me a better idea on what to search for to find what I need to know.

10-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As far as the actual processing goes, ACR in CS4 is indeed a lot like Lightroom; it's more a question of an interface tuned to help youquickly process large numbers of files (LR) versus an inerface geared more toward encouraging you to spend longer on each file (CS4). but both have the ame non-destructive parametric mage editing at their core.
10-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ACR in Element's too

ACR is not a stand alone product, but you can get the latest version of ACR in Elements. You don't need CS4. And you can set ACR to open jpegs as well as .dng or .pef files. You can also use the included raw converter to change pefs into dngs. The resulting files are about 25% smaller than the ones direct from Pentax SLRs. Though that is an extra step.
10-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

I have a Pentax K100D Super.
I shoot in RAW.
I am thinking of buying the new Adobe Elements 8.
Can I process my RAW files straight out of my camera?

10-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombatwal Quote
I have a Pentax K100D Super.
I shoot in RAW.
I am thinking of buying the new Adobe Elements 8.
Can I process my RAW files straight out of my camera?
Yes, the software can recognize all Pentax DSLR´s up to K7.
You can set it to automatically transfer the pictures from the camera to the Organizer-secton of Elements as soon as the camera is connected to the computer.
10-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #9
Forum Member

Thank you PePe.
Looks like I will probably get it.
10-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I belive that you will need CS4 to decode K-7 PEF files. The raw converter in Photoshop is the same as the Lightroom engine, but the interface is more big button in Lightroom.
One of the reasons I shoot DNG rather than PEF is because I can, in a pinch, go back to Photoshop 7 if need be and read files from my cameras.
10-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

CS4 and PSE8 use the same ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). The latest version (5.5) can handle all K7 formats(PEF,DNG,JPEG). I think K7 support was included already in the previous version of ACR.
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

DNG converter

If Adobe supports the a camera format at all, in any version of ACR, you can use the DNG Converter (free download) to switch formats. On my K20D shooting straight DNG, file sizes are about 20MB. PEF files run through the converter to DNG are about 15MB.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
K-9
Veteran Member

From what I am gathering, the file sizes in order, big to small, are:

1. Camera shot DNG
2. Camera shot PEF
3. DNG file converted from a camera shot PEF
10-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
From what I am gathering, the file sizes in order, big to small, are:

1. Camera shot DNG
2. Camera shot PEF
3. DNG file converted from a camera shot PEF
What I so is:
1. Shoot raw in DNG
2. Fire up the DNG converter
3. Convert the DNG files to DNG (with compression).

Result and advantages:
1. File size is much smaller
2. Preserves the embedded profile (an option when selecting the camera profile) PEF does not.
10-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm hooked on RAW. I've been shooting strictly in .PEF and am quite happy with the results over JPEG. I don't think I will shoot JPEG again unless I have to.

I do have a question or two though. We shoot in RAW. We process our images, and then Export them as JPEGs. What do we do with the RAW files afterwards?

Hang onto them, or delete them when we are finished with them?

Just curious on what everyone does. I assume that for important pics, it would be wise to hang onto the RAW files, but still thought I would ask.