Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PC to Mac

Is LR2 and PSE6 useable on Macintosh computers?

10-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I assume you mean Lightroom and Photoshop Elements?

First of all, yes. Second of all, Macs are PC's as well, so they'll run any program Windows runs AND any program Macs run because they run both operating systems natively.
10-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have the CD version of Lightroom, it comes with both the mac and PC versions - no need to buy new or run Windows. There's a mac version of PSE6 - I think, but do not know for sure, that you'll have to buy it again if you are trying to avoid Windows. I have both, but I purchased PSE for the first time after I switched to Mac (I usually use a full version of Photoshop but bought PSE for my husband's computer, when mine was in the shop getting repaired under warranty).
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
If you have the CD version of Lightroom, it comes with both the mac and PC versions - no need to buy new or run Windows. There's a mac version of PSE6 - I think, but do not know for sure, that you'll have to buy it again if you are trying to avoid Windows. I have both, but I purchased PSE for the first time after I switched to Mac (I usually use a full version of Photoshop but bought PSE for my husband's computer, when mine was in the shop getting repaired under warranty).
You could try downloading Photoshop and using the serial key. It might work!

10-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Banned

Elements 8 for the mac just came out. Sadly for me it's intel only. I'm running a G5 iMac.

Honey...I need to upgrade!!.....Slap!!!
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the variety of answers.
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Elements 8 for the mac just came out. Sadly for me it's intel only. I'm running a G5 iMac.

Honey...I need to upgrade!!.....Slap!!!
LOL! I did this a bit differently - my hubby wanted to switch from PC to Mac and we were able to do it right when CS4 and Lightroom 2 came out. I used the change in operating system as an excuse to upgrade from CS2 to CS4 - never would have been able to talk him into it otherwise!

10-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Call Adobe Support

You can transfer your Adobe licenses between operating systems, though you will have to call Adobe Support. There are a couple of hoops to jump through but the support people have always been helpful. I seem to remember having to pay a $10 shipping fee, as they sent out new copies of Mac versions.
10-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #9

mysterick, Adobe has long been a Mac-friendly company. Many professional photographers use Macs because they used to be far better at graphical processing and color management than PC's (not really anymore). The dialogs, shortcuts, and menus are identical between the programs with only the a few differences in keyboard keys (Command versus Ctrl and Option versus Alt). Other than that, they're basically identical.
11-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Since it sounds like you are switching from Windows to Mac, here is something you should probably know; Unlike Windows, under Mac OS X closing the last window in a program usually does not quit the program. You have to select "Quit" from the menu with the applications name, for example, in Safari it is the Safari menu. You can tell which applications are running by looking at the dock. Any running application will have a dot underneath it. Of course if you have enough memory you probably won't need to worry about it most of the time.

How to quit applications and needing to eject flash drives are thought to be two of the biggest problems for people who are switching from Windows.
11-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
...Macs are PC's as well, so they'll run any program Windows runs AND any program Macs run because they run both operating systems natively.
WTF? No, not out-of-the-box. You need to buy and install a virtual manager if you want to run two operating systems at the same time; otherwise, boot camp will let you boot to one or the other.
11-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
WTF? No, not out-of-the-box. You need to buy and install a virtual manager if you want to run two operating systems at the same time; otherwise, boot camp will let you boot to one or the other.
Boot Camp is an out-of-the-box part of the operating system.

It's an Intel chip inside my machine.
11-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Boot Camp is an out-of-the-box part of the operating system.

It's an Intel chip inside my machine.
But you still need to buy Windows, So what tuco said is right, not out of the box. The way you said it, it sounds like you can run Windows programs on a Mac without anything extra.