Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What are you using to process your photos on your computer?

Hi! I just got my K2000 (first DSLR) so wish me luck....

But, on to business:
Do we like the Pentax Photo Lab 3 that came with the camera? Or what do YOU prefer for software?

We were using Picasa with the point and shoot.
When we had the MAC we enjoyed iPhoto.

10-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Picasa does a good job and has some simple but useful features. It can even see your RAW files and export them, but I don't know how the final quality compares to a good RAW converter.
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

One count for Picasa here too as for organizing and simple processing.
RawTherapee for raw processing - much better than Picasa for me.
10-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I now use Lightroom and PSE almost exclusively. That doesn't mean they are my favorites though. I prefer those two for easy photo management while still acheiving exceptional results. As far as an image editor/developer, Lightzone is my favorite. Very unique interface that just 'works' in my opinion. However with any type of heavy volume, it's not efficient.

Faststone is a great image browser and FREE. I use that for simple browsing on both my laptop and desktop. If you want to keep things simple (and cheap), I'd start with that and use a free RAW developing program in combination. I have not kept up with current offerrings, but at last check there were a few good ones.

EDIT: just found out that Lightzone now has a save to Lightroom feature. Awesome. It might be rarity that I use PSE anymore.

Last edited by joeyc; 10-29-2009 at 03:56 AM.
10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Edit: RAW Therapee was the one I was thinking of.
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

I use Aperture. It's often compared to Lightroom which is nice too.
10-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
MCR
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Winnie Quote
Hi! I just got my K2000 (first DSLR) so wish me luck....

We were using Picasa with the point and shoot.
When we had the MAC we enjoyed iPhoto.
I have a MBP15 and usually I use iPhoto. Sometimes Pixelmator or PS3.

10-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using PSE--it has everything I need and a lot more. It's taking me forever to learn how to use it but that's because I'm a lazy undisciplined idiot.
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Print Shop Pro 11 or Images Plus depending on what the subject is. Both accept Pentax RAW from my K100D and istD. I just discovered the K100D Super (just bought on this forum!) confuses PSP, may need to upgrade to version 12.
10-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #10

I use a combination depending on what I'm doing. I shoot only in RAW so this is the workflow that works best for me.

1) Browsing a few test shots - I'll use Bridge (comes with most(?) Adobe CS3+ software bundles) and simply preview images quickly in the file browser and take a look at a few just for a peek. I have Bridge open Camera Raw when I double-click on an image so it's basically a stand-alone solution when used this way.

2) Serious photo editing - if I have more than a couple of dozen shots, I'll import the images and load them directly into Aperture. It works basically just like Lightroom and allows quick adjustments to multiple photos, direct RAW editing, and changes are saved with the DNG file. I like Aperture because the interface is integrated into a single window unlike Lightroom that spreads it between Library and Develop but I actually prefer the print options in Lightroom.

3) Output to web pages, print, contact sheets - I'll do most of this directly in Aperture as well. Lightroom does the same types of functions and they probably work better for some people than Aperture (obviously Aperture isn't available on the PC).

If you're serious about photography and have tons of photos, you should really read Real World Camera RAW by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe. It is one of the best texts for learning how to integrate a practical process for a RAW workflow. I learned a ton about Bridge and Camera RAW that I still use to make my life easier.
10-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

LightRoom 2.5 and Picasa.
10-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #12

Photoshop and Lightroom.
10-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
Dom

UFRaw, the GIMP. CinePaint.
10-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #14

I nearly always shoot RAW

1) Pentax Photo browser - I like the file re-naming feature
2) PSE v7
10-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use ACDSee Pro, which is similar in basic scope to Lightroom or Aperture - integrated organization and non-destructive image processing.