Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw Therapee for conversion and processing, Neat Image for NR or Paint.NET for additional PP (when required).
Had the librtengine.dll crash after updating Raw Therapee about a week ago and had to use PPL and Lightroom since then. Finally got it sorted out today, now I'm a happy panda again

11-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #32

Lightroom 2 for import, cataloguing, and raw adjustments. Elements 6 for other adjustments and layer work. Elements 4 for printing. I have installed add ons from Hidden Elements, Photo Wiz and Genuine Fractals into Elements and I'm very happy with what the program can do for me. Full blown PS is out of my budget and has more in it than I'd use.
11-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use more than 80% Lightroom and the remainder goes through Photoshop. Sometimes I use Graficconverter as a slideshopw program or for large batch conversions.

Ben
11-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom v2 for everything (library, tagging, editing) except panoramics. PSE v8 with Photomerge plugin for assembling panoramics - all other editing in Lightroom. If Lightroom would support the photomerge - would not use PSE at all.

11-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, it's nice to see some mention of open software and I think I'll pipe up.
I wouldn't use Window$ at all except that my scanner does much better with SilverFast and PSE, at least initially.
At work Mac is the system of choice, but I just can't get my head around it and it's just as expensive or more so than Window$.
Using Linux is a no brainer for me; it just works and it's basically free (donations are good!). So Ufraw, Gimp for RAW processing and editing, Geeqie for viewing and tagging, RawStudio for batch processing. Cinepaint does 16-bit and more, but it lacks the shortcuts I'm used to in Gimp. It'll be a while before I'm a better photog and editor than Gimp can satisfy and UFRaw is great.

cheers
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still getting organised with this stuff. We're a Mac & Windows household - a Macbook and a desktop PC with Vista. Mac seems a popular choice with photographers and we're more likely to have the Macbook with us if we're away travelling so I am leaning towards mostly using it for processing. I've played with iPhoto, Picasa for Mac and Picasa in Vista for organising the collection. So far I like Windows version of Picasa best for organising photos. The other big advantage of using the desktop is a larger and better screen than the Macbook. I did buy Pixelmator for the Mac though and it seems like a pretty good starting point as my poor-man's version of Photoshop. We'll see though - still a lot of programs and things to try before commiting to one.
11-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

i use

Lightroom 2.4 to import/catalog/basic processing - this does 95% of my photos without any worries
Autopano Giga for panorama stitching
Photomatix for HDRs
Deep Sky Stacker for stacked star shots
Startrails for well, star trails
Photoshop for heavier editing (or some panoramas, hdrs)
and finally Picasa to easily upload to my picasaweb

11-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PS CS4 and Bridge for me, stores on two drives simultaneously, can tag copyright metadata to files automatically etc. etc.. Bridge is a far more capable program than most people realise, did you know you can play most any kind of video codec inside Bridge, not just those on your system? May be that's just the extended version - not sure.

Chris
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Here are the tools I use, in descending order of frequency of use (most frequently used first):
  1. Adobe Lightroom. Serious work done currently in version 2.5, although I'm using the Lightroom 3 beta for some personal test photos and liking it.
  2. Picasa 3. I don't actually EDIT anything in Picasa, but I "launder" my photos through it for several reasons. My Lightroom library only stores raw image files (I shoot exclusively in raw). Processed photos are exported to a separate folder hierarchy for jpegs, and I use Picasa to view the jpegs. Picasa also has uploaders that I use for Picasa WEb Albums (personal stuff) and SmugMug (my work stuff, portraits, weddings, and any photos I expect to sell prints of).
  3. Adobe Photoshop Elements 8. I don't actually use Elements very often but, well, when I need it it's there.

I own licenses for Bibble Pro and LightCrafts' LightZone but I don't use either one of them any more. I tried SilkyPix Developer Studio 3 in the late summer and rather liked it, but having Adobe Lightroom, I couldn't really justify spending hundreds of dollars more on SilkyPix for the occasional use.

I don't HATE post-processing, but I have a very limited appetite for it, meaning that I can't throw myself at it for very long before I get antsy. It's been a long time since I worked in a darkroom (decades) but I remember darkroom work being a lot more fun than working on the computer.

Will
11-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #40

Raw Therapee and Gimp 2.6.7 with plenty of plug-ins on Ubuntu 9.10

Rodney
11-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #41
Forum Member

Lightroom 90%, Photoshop - 10%.
11-04-2009, 04:49 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UFRaw (sometimes scripted for batch processing), RawTherapee, Digikam, Gimp (loaded with plugins), ImageMagick. All on Linux although I have Portable Gimp/UFRaw on a stick for when I have to use Windows.
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
I use Photoshop, Faststone and sometimes IDimager.

Very happy with all of them....
11-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #44
Veteran Member

LightZone for PEF editing and further processing (on Windows in Virtualbox).
Gimp (freeware) for manipulations for the web (on both Windows and Linux).
FastStone (freeware) for organizing (on Windows in Virtualbox).
Silkypix for LX3 RW2 files (on Windows in Virtualbox).
I also occasionally use NoiseWare Community edition.
I have IdImager for DAM but could spent little time to use it efficiently.
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #45

Open source now

Having finally abandoned CS4 and bridge I use:

Digikam for photo management, tagging, slideshows, batch raw processing and increasingly editing as its capabilities are extended. Just about everything for just about all photos except for printing.

If its a special shot and it doesn't come out well from the default raw processing I'll use Raw Therapee and/or UFraw for more interactive control over the raw development. These can be called from within Digikam so its very easy.

Gimp for editing tasks that Digikam can't do. Basically thats layers or processing selective parts of an image. (I'm Playing with Krita as well). Again you can directly call the Gimp to edit a photograph from within the Digikam management application.

And lastly, always,always,always Photoprint for printing. I can't recommend this highly enough to Linux users - its like a sort of free Qimage that does multi image layout, automatic resizing to output resolution plus output sharpening and is fully colour managed with soft proofing as well.