Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cleaning negatives

I bought some edwal film cleaner but it will not remove the problem spot I have on one old 120 film negative. Evidently, someone laid some paper against this negative and it got wet. Now the paper is stuck to the negative.

Does anyone know of some photographic solution I could use to remove this paper without damaging the negative?

10-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Let it soak in water for a while. When the paper is thoroughly wet, GENTLY rub it off, then hang the film to dry. It would be nice if you could add a drop or two of Photo-Flo (or similar) to the water to avoid water spots on the film while it dries. Then, you can use your film cleaner.
10-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Yves. I thought water might do it, and knew water wouldn't ruin the film. I wish I had some photo-Flo but alas I've yet to buy any. If there are a lot of water spots, I'll use the film cleaner to remove those.

I'll go do this now. And thanks again for your help.
10-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

In the absence of PhotoFlo, put a couple of drops of common dish detergent into the water.
Seriously.

10-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield. I have to remember that for next time. I got the paper off and the negs are hanging to dry now. If the water spots are too intense, I'll soak them again adding the dish detergent. But I'm hopeful the cleaner will get the spots off.

I found some really old negatives from my family and at a house were I spent my first 10 years. I might post some later in Post your photos so you all can see what I looked like at 1 1/2 years old.
10-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
After drying the negs, there was no extra water spots. All is well for now. I have a few I still need to use cleaner on because they have sat in a box of pictures unprotected from dust and atmosphere pollens for over 50 years.
10-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
After drying the negs, there was no extra water spots. All is well for now. I have a few I still need to use cleaner on because they have sat in a box of pictures unprotected from dust and atmosphere pollens for over 50 years.
Actually, you would do well to rewash them as well rather than take the film cleaner to them. Float as much of the particulates off as possible. If they are bigger negatives that will probably be all you need to do.

10-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, you would do well to rewash them as well rather than take the film cleaner to them. Float as much of the particulates off as possible. If they are bigger negatives that will probably be all you need to do.
And if you finally rinse them in distilled water, you won't get any stains on them.

Ben
10-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield and Ben. I will soak them in the dish liquid water instead of using a harsh chemical.

Would the water need to be a certain temperature?
10-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks Wheatfield and Ben. I will soak them in the dish liquid water instead of using a harsh chemical.

Would the water need to be a certain temperature?
Room temperature. And don't use more than 3 or 4 drops of detergent in a kitchen sink full of water.
Just so you know, PhotoFlo is nothing more than a high grade industrial detergent.
10-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
So that's why photo-flo suds up when you use it, eh?

I'll mind how much I use, and again, thanks for your help.

Once I get these all cleaned and scanned in, resized and a little PP, I'll be making a slideshow on DVDs for Christmas, titled A stroll down memory lane. Copies to be given to my other siblings (5 sisters and two brothers) who are all older than me, as I think they would enjoy these photos from our past.
10-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update. Wheatfield, it worked. I put the negatives in a plastic container with a few drops of dish detergent, swished them gently a bit, removed and hung to dry. I just scanned about five of them and the dust and grit are gone.

Thank you so much for the help.