Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Correct viewing angle for LCD screen?

I've got myself quite confused with this issue, and may well struggle to get my point across.

Are then any rules of thumb, or does anyone have any useful advice as to what angle one should assume is normal for the tilt of an LCD screen and the position of the viewer in relation to the screen?

Many times I've adjusted brightness levels on a shot on one machine/screen only to look at it on another and feel it too bright or too dark, or looked at an image on the same screen stood up and then sat down with it appearing totally different in terms of brightness and contrast. A change in 'angle of view' of only a few degrees can have a dramatic effect on the appearence of an image.

Is this only a problem with LCDs (I no longer have a CRT to compare)?

How do you peeps deal with this? It is not a matter of monitor calibration!

10-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Straight on is always best. The screen manufacturer will have maximum viewing angles in the documentation. Better panels have better viewing angles as well. My TN panel has a terrible viewing angle compared to my S-PVA panel.
10-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

That's why I stiill have a CRT. All my stuff is calibrated but I do the rough work on the LCD then actual color correction on CRT. I've talked with others in my field who do CC and they all have the same problem. Nost of us know our monitors and can adjust to get it right. But CRT is a lot easier and more accurate.