Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A useful free bit of software

I saw a link to this and for free software it is really neat. I can see all manner of uses for it asI try to get shots of the Sun and Moon setting behind the Flatirons.
stephentrainor.com: tools

11-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, that is pretty nifty! It doesn't speak to a need of mine (right now, at least) but it's good to know it's out there. Thanks!
11-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for posting this Mark, it's an awesome little app. I have it installed on my laptop.
11-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Moved to Everything Else

11-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What it is, per the site:
QuoteQuote:
Introduction

Landscape photographers typically wish to plan their shoots around the times of sunrise/sunset or twilight, or alternatively when the moon is in a particular place in a particular phase.

While times of sunrise etc. are readily available on various sites on the internet (direction of sunrise etc. less so, but still readily found), there are fewer programs available which combine such information with a topographical map allowing the photographer to match the astronomical to the location.

A typical use might be to determine when the sun will set along the axis of a mountain valley, or when a full moon rise will rise across a lake.

The application uses Google Maps providing users the ability to select a location and determine the time and azimuth of sunrise or sunset for a given date or dates.
Very interesting, due to its all-in-one nature...no digging around the net. Although I don't have a use for it now, you never know...
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
I saw a link to this and for free software it is really neat. I can see all manner of uses for it asI try to get shots of the Sun and Moon setting behind the Flatirons.
stephentrainor.com: tools
Many thanks Mark. That will be invaluable for timing (and planning) my future shots.
11-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

After traveling in Colorado several times years ago, I know what you are saying. The only thing cooler than sunset over the Rockies is the light show when a storm is moving out to Kansas !
I wish I has my K200D when I was there.

11-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a nice software! Thanks for posting. I used to have my own very un-graphical fortran code for the same calculations, but somehow lost it (it is probably on some old back up disc). This one is much prettier...