Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the best of both worlds. I make my own frames in my woodshop. The woodshop is pretty extensive and part of a business I own (not framing). My business is U.S. based, makes U.S. products with U.S. supplied wood, materials, and suppliers, by U.S. employees.

...and we sell the products almost exclusively over the internet!!

We have no brick and mortar store...just a shop on our property...very little overhead. Left the B&M years ago. Decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Make more money now.

BTW...beautiful image Ken! If you can, make friends with someone who has a woodshop and then make your own. It's worth it! Or better yet, set some of your LBA money aside and invest in some strategic wood tools just for the job. I do agree with Steve and Rockies...the pro's do a fantastic job because they do it for a living. But you can do a good job too...it's just going to take a bit of time to learn. Since it's your own framing, you can do it without worrying about making a living at it and can thus take your time.

Last edited by navcom; 11-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
11-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
These two paragraphs show me that you don't have a clue how the framing industry works. Employes of retail frame shops regularly make $20+ per hour, sometimes much more. They are often career framers. And yes, the warehouse type framing jobs are typically minimum wage and part time. Moulding is typically made in foreign countries, often China for "low end" and Italy for "high end". Mouldng design is almost always farmed out.
I guess you missed half of what I wrote.

Either way, if you are indicative of the typical framing shop owner, I can't say I am sad to see the places go away. No one is entitled to do their particular job the way to do, or get support from people when they don't provide sufficient value to warrant it. This typical "I know better than you" attitude is part of the reason I avoid these types of places.