Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Loss of exif data

Can anyone explain to me why you can lose all exif data after processing a photo.
This has happened to a few photos of mine, and I don't know what I've done differently to the these that I haven't done to others that have retained the exif data.
It's not a major problem, I still have the photo just no info such as date, lens, camera model, aperture setting etc.

06-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Alfie,
I don't know the answer to why only some are affected, but I know my old paint shop pro 7 strips the exif info so I use a freeware program called exifer to transfer the exif from the original file to the processed file if I want it. It works pretty good for me. hope this helps.
06-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tom, I will try this. Like I said it's not as important as the photo but I can't understand why I'm losing some and not others.
06-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

If you're using photoshop "save for web" will strip exif data. Use "save as" instead.

06-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have photoshop CS2 but haven't mastered it yet, way to far above me at the moment, but I always use save as when processing RAW files. I don't publish to the web or generally post photos on the web.
The photos that have lost the exif data have been edited using either irfanview or microsoft photo browser, but not all of them have lost it.
I think my computer hates me.

Thanks for the advice Paul.
09-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie1965 Quote
Can anyone explain to me why you can lose all exif data after processing a photo.
This has happened to a few photos of mine, and I don't know what I've done differently to the these that I haven't done to others that have retained the exif data.
It's not a major problem, I still have the photo just no info such as date, lens, camera model, aperture setting etc.
Can't help your problem except don't "save for web" in Adobe.

However, in Pentax Photo Browser, you can "Select All", then go to tools and "Save Data List". Ta-da! A CSV of your exif data. I cut and paste it into my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet called "PhotoEXIF". That way, I have the data (even if not in the image file) for reference.