Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
UnWanted Redness

Last weekend I did a christening and Im just about finished the PP.The question is the father of the child has redness in his face in sunlight or indoor shots and I am asking weather anyone has tips in using PP(Im using CS2or LR2)in reducing or giving him a more natural facial complexion

cheers

11-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An example pic would help

Without seeing a photo, it's just a guess. Is it just the face that's red or the whole image? If it's just the face you can use an adjustment brush and adjust the color or saturation. There are a number of portrait presets available that can do this with a click. Check if it's the whole image that has a color cast. Then adjust the temperature. That's often the case.

In PS, I'd mask the face and do a color balance adjustment or a curves adjustment in the red channel. If it's only part of the face that's red, then the clone stamp tool would work.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs
11-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Without seeing a photo, it's just a guess. Is it just the face that's red or the whole image? If it's just the face you can use an adjustment brush and adjust the color or saturation. There are a number of portrait presets available that can do this with a click. Check if it's the whole image that has a color cast. Then adjust the temperature. That's often the case.

In PS, I'd mask the face and do a color balance adjustment or a curves adjustment in the red channel. If it's only part of the face that's red, then the clone stamp tool would work.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs
\\

Just a note the redness is mainly around the bridge of either side of nose weather its indoor outdoors its the same

cheers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting - sorry to ask this, but does he look like that in real life too? Looks almsot like lupus, which is an odd coincidence in that we have a few bags of clothing on our porch right now we are donating to a lupus fund.

Anyhow, different programs would be able to deal with that differently. In ACDSee Pro 3, I'd go to the Advanced Color tool, click Saturation, then move the cursor over a red area, right click and drag down to reduce the saturation of that color. I assume CS2 and LR2 have something similar - a way to desaturate just those colors. And possible nudge those reds a bit more toward orange (away from violet).

11-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my shot at it. CS4 working with different color channels in hue and sat, and with levels.

11-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parallax has done well with it. That would be my first try - as long as other reds in the frame are not too altered in the process.

Mate, my alternate suggestion is to create a layer from the selected area you want to adjust the colours, and use selective colouring to reduce the intensity of the reds. Then retouching may help to smooth out some of the skin blemishes/blotches and scale.
11-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips, I managed to rid most not all so i have a right balance.I used LR2 in camera calibration and adjusted the red (Hue and Saturation)

cheers