Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom Beta

I just got an email from Adobe saying Lightroom 3 Beta is available for experienced users like me to download for trial use I guess. I ain't never been part of a beta test but wanted to let ya'll know it's out there..................

11-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's been out for a few a few weeks now Rob and it's open to anyone.
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Yup, I've been using it for a few weeks now. I don't think all the noise reduction works yet, but other than that...no complaints.
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

...or praises. There seems to be a few improvements but nothing jaw dropping.

11-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
It's been out for a few a few weeks now Rob and it's open to anyone.
Then what up with the late email?
11-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

few ppl have mentioned its quite slow compared to 2.5 - i havent actually tried to use it myself yet so i cant comment on that. but any of you users also found that?
11-11-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Then what up with the late email?
You'll have to take that up with Adobe

11-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
You'll have to take that up with Adobe
Maybe it goes by who has the higher priced software and or who already has Lightroom which I do not, yet......
I tried the trial version and I have Photoshop 7 and Elements 7.......... Anyway I was just sreading the LATE news!
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
I just got an email from Adobe saying Lightroom 3 Beta is available for experienced users like me to download for trial use I guess. I ain't never been part of a beta test but wanted to let ya'll know it's out there..................

I've been using the beta of 3 for a couple of weeks now. I like it. It's an improvement on a program that was already very good - rather than a major redo designed to give you the impression that it's practically a new program. Improvements include:
  1. Redesigned import dialog. I'm still not sure whether I like this change or not. I found it confusing at first but I am starting to get used to it.
  2. A new raw conversion process. This is an important improvement. The changes are subtle but valuable.
  3. You can know add a copyright notice or name plate to exported photos, and you have a variety of options here.
  4. A new "grain" feature which ADDS film-like grain to photos. I've actually used this and like it. Picasa has had something like this for a while but Lightroom's is much more sophisticated.
  5. Supposedly noise reduction is improved or will be improved but this feature isn't fully accessible yet.
  6. Supposedly Lightroom 3 will be FASTER than Lightroom 2.5, although I think at the moment, the beta has not been optimized and it's definitely not faster.
  7. Support for uploading directly to various online services. The beta has built-in support only for Flickr, but other services like Picasa Web Albums and SmugMug (the two I use most often) should be coming.
  8. Other improvements to slideshow, printing, backup....

The main thing that's NOT there that I wish were, is a perspective correction tool.

BE CAREFUL. THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE. It does have bugs. I've reported a couple myself already. But so far, the bugs I've run into have been fairly benign. Still, during the public beta of Lightroom 2 I found a bug that actually caused the program to delete an entire folder of files irrevocably. (Fortunately the folder of mine that was deleted wasn't critical - and I worked with a very eager Adobe engineer to help him kill that cockroach.) Adobe warns you not to use this beta release for serious production work. I'm using it only for personal photos that aren't critical to me. So far, so good.

Will
11-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

if they have film grain and automatic uploading to picasa webalbums im totally sold although the speed will have to be at least the same as 2.5
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
if they have film grain and automatic uploading to picasa webalbums im totally sold although the speed will have to be at least the same as 2.5
Film grain feature is there and seems to work well. Not the kind of thing one needs often, but I used it on a nice dark moody photo and liked the effect.

Uploading to Picasa Web Albums isn't implemented yet in the beta but should be coming. Perhaps somebody has already released a plug-in that will do it. It actually was available as a plug-in for 2.5 (ditto SmugMug).

The improved performance is mentioned in Adobe's info about Lightroom 3 as a definite. I just don't think they've optimized the beta yet so at the moment Lightroom 3 seems to be a bit SLOWER than 2.5. Presumably that will be fixed by or before final release.

Will
11-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #12

I've actually been reading lot's of positive comments about the new Beta amongst the online Lightroom community. A few major improvements and lots of small things that should make the software that bit easier and useful.
Regarding the performance of the software, it is common that alpha and beta releases will be full of debug code and routines logging everything and providing in and out points for testing purposes.
These things are not normally removed until final version software and that is also when a further round of code optimization is done (to produce a Release Candidate) I'm sure the final product will suffer no performance issues at all..