Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

Aperture 2 Storage

Perhaps I am slow, ok I am. A confirmation or correction could help. Currently I use Aperture 2 and have a huge library. All of my photos are backed up on my internal hard drive as well as being vaulted on an external hd.

What I think I understand, in procedure, is that I can export my Aperture library to an external. Keep it plugged in, do consistent back ups as I go -- by exporting, and I can use the external, keeping my internal Aperture library small. When I use the external hd with the Aperture library it will act and look the same as if it were in my internal library.

I back all my files onto dvds. I understand the importance of back up. What I do not fully understand is the way Aperture integrates with the external hd. Does it behave the same if it is using the external? And is exporting, not vaulting, my Aperture library the proper way to duplicate it without screwing up the format of my projects and folders?

Sorry about the long thread. Hope you all can help. Thanks.

11-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I am not shure I get the question, but...

Use the Relocate masters command to export your photos to the external HDD. That way you will still have the previews available when the external hdd is not connected. Your photos will not be stored in the library but will be referenced and stored in folders the way you choose to.

This is not back up, but you had a vault as well, right??
11-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time I try to set up a Vault, having never done one it fails. It looks as if it is starting and then says it cannot create a fault there....... two external 320GB Firewire hard-disks so plenty of space!

So I use Carbon Copy Cloner and copy regularly my 3 users Aperture libraries. So I end up with the library on the Mac and at least 2 complete copies.

So do I need to bother with the vault?

I create new one and then I get these two screens......

http://www.zugernet.ch/users/sbutterworth/1.png
http://www.zugernet.ch/users/sbutterworth/2.png

This ever since I started with Aperture. Any ideas anyone? I am using Aperture 2.14

Last edited by SPB; 11-14-2009 at 03:51 AM.
11-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
tym

Original Poster
Hello Debbie,

Thanks for the help. Yes I vault on an external HDD and back up to dvds.

If I relocate the masters does that also move the versions of those mastered that are stacked? I hear a lot about consolidating masters, relocating, referenced and managed, masters; Does any of this include versions?

Basically, I have it my head that I can store all my images on an external HDD, versions included in Aperture format ( folders and projects), leave it plugged in, and use Aperture as if the images were in Aperture, the same as they are now. To have access without importing images is significant. My wife and I build web pages that are heavily sourced with older images that are a hassle to get at when sifting through thousands. There are so many images in my library that it is bogging down.

11-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
yes, if you relocate the masters it will work the same way as having them in the library.
The only difference is that it is stored in another format, and you can choose folder and subfolder formats as you like. And you dont have to import anything.
But you can also use multiple libraries if you think that is a better solution. You just need to choose which one to work with when you start up.
Just make a search on apple.com in the support section under Aperture, search for multiple libraries or something like that and you should find several threads about the topic.