Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

Pentax K-X Software CD

Hi, guys,
I have a problem. Just installed Pentax software from CD ( Pentax digital camera utility 4 SILKYPIX ) for editing pictures. First time I used program after installation, all was fine. Then I closed software and tried to open again and now it shows error:

PTXUTL40.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. Debug or close.

I have reinstalled it, restarted, it doesn`t helps
My OS is WIN XP.
Can any one experiencied something like that? Any suggestions how to solve it?

Thanks

08-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #2

Any Answers or Fixes

I'm getting the same thing.
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First I would recommend to remove the software. Then re-install Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) and update immediately to PDCU 4.21 before starting PDCU.

The latest PDCU update is at:
Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

PDCU 4.21 is a major update and more stable than the earlier version.

Hope that it will fix your problem.
08-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Here is a potential fix.

The problem with "checking" photos and have DCU crash on startup is not fixed. I downloaded v4.21 and tested it. Below is the fix I got somewhere. It worked again on 4.21. I can't believe Pentax has not fixed this. From what I have read support knows about it.

Mike

"
Don't waste your time - here is a suitable solution.

My last activity was marking about 200 files with the build-in markers. Without further action i had to close DCU4. From then DCU4 ended every launching in crashing.

A deep quest in XP's own (and normally hidden) folders brought the cause: If you mark pictures DCU4 creates a CheckInfo.ini file. If you rename, delete or empty this file launching DCU4 will work normally... until you mark some pictures!

You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

Please remember: I'm using Windows XP Home (german edition). Therefore folder names are different from other languages editions!

Good luck
claus"

08-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was able to use mine for about a month. I just went to Pentax support and got help through Live Chat- they are sending me another disc. Hopefully this one won't have a problem. I'm thinking this is an issue for them because as soon as I told him what the problem was, I was instantly offered the new disc-no more questions asked.
08-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
Here is a potential fix.

The problem with "checking" photos and have DCU crash on startup is not fixed. I downloaded v4.21 and tested it. Below is the fix I got somewhere. It worked again on 4.21. I can't believe Pentax has not fixed this. From what I have read support knows about it.

Mike

"
Don't waste your time - here is a suitable solution.

My last activity was marking about 200 files with the build-in markers. Without further action i had to close DCU4. From then DCU4 ended every launching in crashing.

A deep quest in XP's own (and normally hidden) folders brought the cause: If you mark pictures DCU4 creates a CheckInfo.ini file. If you rename, delete or empty this file launching DCU4 will work normally... until you mark some pictures!

You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

Please remember: I'm using Windows XP Home (german edition). Therefore folder names are different from other languages editions!

Good luck
claus"
Thanks Trailrider for the fix. I was having the same problem and had deleted and reinstalled twice. After one use it would fail to open a second time. I just tried your fix and it worked.

I'm using Widows XP Home (english edition).

Last edited by JRMax; 08-10-2010 at 07:18 PM.
09-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #7

Trailrider, you're a genious!

I encountered the same problem today. With a couple of hundreds of pef-files to process I slightly panicked when I couldn' launch DCU4 any more!

Thanks to your research the problem could be solved.

Many thanks!!

Jan V.