Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by stoge Quote
That's right, it's a high volume job. and my print people said that my pictures would be better, and it would be easier for them if I had already converted the TIFF file that I submitted into PDF. thanks for all the help so far.
Print as in offset? Or to an inkjet? If offset I'd look for someone else. I never want pictures in a pdf if there's no type involved. Now if it's a book or such then I want a hi-res pdf. All downsampling turned off.

If it's a large job just buy acrobat 9. Then you print to pdf just like any other printer on your system.

11-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Print as in offset? Or to an inkjet? If offset I'd look for someone else. I never want pictures in a pdf if there's no type involved. Now if it's a book or such then I want a hi-res pdf. All downsampling turned off.

If it's a large job just buy acrobat 9. Then you print to pdf just like any other printer on your system.

He did mention that it is a larger job, so I doubt it is inkjet. Chances are he's not going for photo quality on a large run.

No need to buy Acrobat 9 just to create a PDF file as there are free PDF print drivers available.
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
He did mention that it is a larger job, so I doubt it is inkjet. Chances are he's not going for photo quality on a large run.

No need to buy Acrobat 9 just to create a PDF file as there are free PDF print drivers available.
HP has come out with a large inkjet press. Some shops already have them installed. Regular offset with a 500 line screen can get darn close to photo quality. With liquid lam most couldn't tell the difference. Yeah there are free drivers. You get what you pay for.
11-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Once again thanks for all the input! It's greatly appreciated!

11-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

Once again thanks for all the input! It's greatly appreciated!
So is it offset or inkjet?
11-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's offset
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's offset
If it is an offset printing job, it is clear, that the print shop prefers a PDF. A proper PDF already contains all the necessary settings for the printing machine and also the matched colour profiles - all of which JPgs are missing or are containing in individual formats, depending on the application, that generated the JPGs.

Ben

11-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
If it is an offset printing job, it is clear, that the print shop prefers a PDF. A proper PDF already contains all the necessary settings for the printing machine and also the matched colour profiles - all of which JPgs are missing or are containing in individual formats, depending on the application, that generated the JPGs.

Ben
Most times the pdf won't be printed from acrobat. It may be that the imposition software works best with pdf's. Or the prepress isn't all that familiar with other files.