Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Silkypix Tutorials and tweaks

Silkypix UK have just posted 30 tutorials and a few tweaks for getting the best out of this popular Raw Converter.

It's especially useful as they are written in proper English with lots of illustrated steps.

LINK - Tutorials

11-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
written in proper English
you mean the flavour which honour the right spelling of colour ?
11-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I don't want to put words in Richard's mouth, but I understood him to mean that the tutorials were written by someone who actually knows the English language and understands that the purpose of language (any language) is to convey meaning.

Thanks for the heads up, Richard. I will look at these tutorials.

I use Lightroom as my basic raw converter and catalogue, but I frequently use Lightroom's feature of permitting editing in other available programmes without leaving Lightroom. In my case the external programmes are Photoshop CS3 and Silkypix.

I find that Silkypix gives the most pleasant rendering of Pentax colours of all the programmes that I have tried. It is also, by some margin, the easiest and quickest programme to use for basic processing, especially if the image in question was properly exposed in the first place.

The problem is that after processing an image in Silkypix and returning to Lightroom I find that Lightroom has simply duplicated the original pef/dng image in tiff form without preserving the Silkypix adjustments.

This is resolved by saving the Silkypix image in jpg, tiff or other format, returning to Lightroom and deleting the redundant tiff image reproduced there. I can then import the image in its new (tiff or jpg) form with the Silkypix adjustments.

Very irritating.

I wonder, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
11-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Indeed I do, I said English, not American!

11-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonska Quote
I don't want to put words in Richard's mouth, but I understood him to mean that the tutorials were written by someone who actually knows the English language and understands that the purpose of language (any language) is to convey meaning.

Thanks for the heads up, Richard. I will look at these tutorials.

I use Lightroom as my basic raw converter and catalogue, but I frequently use Lightroom's feature of permitting editing in other available programmes without leaving Lightroom. In my case the external programmes are Photoshop CS3 and Silkypix.

I find that Silkypix gives the most pleasant rendering of Pentax colours of all the programmes that I have tried. It is also, by some margin, the easiest and quickest programme to use for basic processing, especially if the image in question was properly exposed in the first place.

The problem is that after processing an image in Silkypix and returning to Lightroom I find that Lightroom has simply duplicated the original pef/dng image in tiff form without preserving the Silkypix adjustments.

This is resolved by saving the Silkypix image in jpg, tiff or other format, returning to Lightroom and deleting the redundant tiff image reproduced there. I can then import the image in its new (tiff or jpg) form with the Silkypix adjustments.

Very irritating.

Yes, don't use LR! Actually I don't have any other suggestions for you, sorry.

I actually dislike LR because of it's ponderous Library system and lack of lens distortion and perspective correction controls, but I can see what devotees like about it. But I don't generally like "all in one" solutions, as I invariably find them severely compromised in important areas.

Personally, I now find with Silkypix Pro I have very little need of separate image processing, and if I do I use Photoshop with several plug-ins. For my cataloguing, I use IDimager which IMO is far in advance of LR's capabilities and I can launch any selection or collection directly into Silkypix from there.

For clarification, I am using LR3 beta for my comparisons.

Last edited by Richard Day; 11-24-2009 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes!
11-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonska Quote
here is the way suggested for C1, I guess SilkyPix can be used in the same manner - Phase One Official User to User Forum • View topic - Lightroom VS Capture One

PS: actually you can delete the .tiff file first :

del "%~f1"
call "c:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 5\CaptureOne.exe" "%~dpn1.pef"

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 11-25-2009 at 10:45 AM.
11-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #7

here is the way suggested for C1, I guess SilkyPix can be used in the same manner - Phase One Official User to User Forum • View topic - Lightroom VS Capture One

PS: actually you can delete the .tiff file first :

del "%~f1"
call "c:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 5\CaptureOne.exe" "%~dpn1.pef"
Thank you. I will give that a try.