Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Displaying prints on a TV.

Has anyone supplied any prints for displaying on a TV monitor, either Plasma or LCD & 42inch?
Anything extra need to be done with post processing?

Any experiences would be gratefully received.

Cheers

11-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Has anyone supplied any prints for displaying on a TV monitor, either Plasma or LCD & 42inch?
Anything extra need to be done with post processing?

Any experiences would be gratefully received.

Cheers
I do this with my 42" plasma from time to time.
I used to bore my friends with slide shows, now I make them watch tv...
Anyway, do size the pictures for the screen, which is probably 720 pixels high, and I've found that I want the images to be very slightly dark to get detail in the white, but also somewhat low contrast to keep detail in the blacks and to keep them looking fairly normal.
We have an LCD TV at the studio which looks pretty normal, but we have it hooked up to a computer so I run monitor profiling on it. My TV at home accepts SD cards so I just sneakernet my pictures over to the TV.
Do some tests with a file, and when you get something that looks good, make note of what you did so that you can repeat it.
If you are using Photoshop, you can write the custom process as an action and then apply it to any file that you want to display.
11-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thankyou.
That may be a big help for an idea coming to fruition.
11-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the wii does a good little automatic slide show but you'd be limited to SD resolutions however it does a zoom / pan thing that works well.

An easy way to do this without resizing files is to use RAW+ 2mp jpg. Then you automatically have a bunch of Tv sized jpgs on the sd card.

11-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If one is buying one of those new HDTVs, definitely look at how they support playing of computer images. I'm no expert on this, but my brother has a 37" Samsung and the Samsungs, as well as one other brand come with USB ports. And there's some software coded into the TV that allows one to play the images as a slide show.

A niece wanted me to bring over some wedding photos of her cousin. I sized up the lot to 12x18" by 300 dpi and the TV rescaled them to full screen size. I hooked up an external hard drive with the images to the TV. Came out looking great without any special treatment. I suppose there are differences between brands so check some images ahead of time if its important.
11-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I was forced to buy a new tele recently - Samsung 40" LCD. It has a couple of USB ports, so I just copy the pice onto a USB dtick, plug it inot the tele and away we go. They look fantastic as they are, to me. I don't do anything special to them.
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I was forced to buy a new tele recently - Samsung 40" LCD. It has a couple of USB ports, so I just copy the pice onto a USB dtick, plug it inot the tele and away we go. They look fantastic as they are, to me. I don't do anything special to them.
I think LCD panels are better for this than Plasma panels. Plasma tvs are rather punchy.
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks one & all....very helpful as always.

What the question was leading to is: I was discussing with my wife how we would set up our future gallery and were talking about what size prints to hang and the number we would need to "fill the space" and so on.

We both agreed that the prints would have to be changed around regularly to keep the presentation (which will be 90% of success or failure) looking 'fresh' when I came up with the idea of displaying the prints on a couple of 37 or 42 inch screens.....provided the resolution is good enough.

Some frames would be made up to show people what the end product would be like.

The cost is a bit more up front, but the downside is less in that I would'nt be caught with "old stock" to give away.

So that was the thinking behind the question.

12-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have a 42" Toshiba LCD and a LG BlueRay player with a USB port and do the same thing. There are many possibilities and combinations out there.
12-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

generally I use a bit of Scotch tape.
12-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The latest Tvs also have wireless and LAN capability if that helps.
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not too familiar with the PC side of things but with the macs most of the 'slide show' tools allow you to select 'aperture' or 'iPhoto' albums as sources. They also support dual monitors and display different images on each monitor.

Incorporating the display of the images into your workflow will be hardly any effort at all if you get the workflow correct.
With some mucking around I'm sure you could even mount one screen in portrait and the other in landscape. This would only be to makesure that the portrait images went full-screen instead of pillared. I haven't tested this but I'm sure you could make it work. Anyone know?

mike
12-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had a bundle of images on a USB stick and just ran it through my PS3 on my 32" Sharp LCD.
I was impressed with the amount of detail for the size of the image .. the colours were amazing as well.

Some time if family are over I just run a slide show on it ... just for something to run in the background ... I might try the resizing though as Wheatfield mentioned ... as I have found that unedited images are too large for my screen and it gets cropped.