Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #1

Opening Photoshop-saved RAW in Photoshop

I've just gotten back from my school's library, where I was using one of the scanners to scan my negatives. I scanned the files directly into photoshop CS3. In retrospect, I absolutely should have saved in tiff, which has worked before, but this time I saved the files in raw. This is Photoshop Raw, not Camera Raw. I assumed that I could open these files back on my home computer (Photoshop CS4), but apparently I was wrong. If I try to open any of the raw files, I get a dialogue box that looks like the one posted below, and if I hit "OK" I'm told something about missing color profiles, then I'm given an image of grey noise (see below). If I change any of the settings in the dialogue box (files were saved at 16-bit grayscale with Mac byte order), I am told that "Specified image is larger than file," and I can't open the image.

What's going on? Why can't I open in Photoshop files that I just saved in Photoshop? Have my past few hours just been a total waste?

Last edited by jzietman; 12-16-2010 at 09:02 PM.
12-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you use

File -> Open As... -> (drop down) Raw

???

Or any other option in the Open As... menu?
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
I only see options to Open and Open as Smart Object, not Open as.... What version of photoshop are you using? I'm in CS4 on a Mac.
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Answer to "have I just wasted my time" from someone on Adobe forums:

"Yep, pretty much unless you know the exact size and can correctly fill out the required dialogs required to open a Photoshop "raw" file. The "raw" format is not, as you've found out related at ALL to Camera Raw. It's really a holder over format from the early years used back when there weren't some file formats available on some computer systems...and yes, you SHOULD have used TIFF."

12-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have CS3, and I hope they wouldn't have taken that option away...

You probably don't want to hear it, but that was a "live and learn" moment. It doesn't feel good to waste time so it'll be TIFF from here on out