Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 problem

Hey!

I installed the forementionned software bundled with my new K7. It worked great.

But yesterday, i tryed to open it and.....BUG! It doesn't open, I only get a windows message sayin the softwarew had a problem and could not open...

Is ther a known problem with other programs?

12-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I've just bought a K-x, installed the program and it develops a windows message stating there's a problem in the program during operation.

Andras
12-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I have the same problem. I used the technical support link on the Pentax web site to report it about a week ago and have received no reply.

Mike
12-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote
Hey!

I installed the forementionned software bundled with my new K7. It worked great.

But yesterday, i tryed to open it and.....BUG! It doesn't open, I only get a windows message sayin the softwarew had a problem and could not open...

Is ther a known problem with other programs?
Seems like an uncommon yet not rare problem:
Things that worked (temporarily at least):
Re: Digital Camera Utilty 4 Crashes on my PC: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
IF a registry clean and reinstall works for you I'd suggest the first thing you do is change all the default folders in the program to ones out of Windows "trouble" zones like "My Documents" or any folders in "My Programs"... just stick
a "RAW" folder on "C" and a "processed" folder. Long shot but what the heck..

12-26-2009, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #5

Application Error... ptxutl40.exe

This message appears while launching "Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4", supplied with your new K7 or K-x. Three options are offered: Message to Microsoft, Do not send and Debug. None of them does the problem.

Also the common next steps:

1. Try to launch again
2. Reboot and lauch again
3. Reinstall
4. Installing the update (4.11)
5. Uninstall of DCU4, deleting the programm folder and cleaning of windows registry

Don't waste your time - here is a suitable solution.

My last activity was marking about 200 files with the build-in markers. Without further action i had to close DCU4. From then DCU4 ended every launching in crashing.

A deep quest in XP's own (and normally hidden) folders brought the cause: If you mark pictures DCU4 creates a CheckInfo.ini file. If you rename, delete or empty this file launching DCU4 will work normally... until you mark some pictures!

You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

Please remember: I'm using Windows XP Home (german edition). Therefore folder names are different from other languages editions!

Good luck
claus
01-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Claus
I just used this fix and it works! I simply renamed the file as I was a little afraid to just delete it. Anybody else having this trouble -- this will work for you.
Maybe this can be added to a sticky or something?
Thank you thank you thank you Claus
Tim

QuoteOriginally posted by claus Quote

This message appears while launching "Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4", supplied with your new K7 or K-x. Three options are offered: Message to Microsoft, Do not send and Debug. None of them does the problem.

1. Try to launch again
3. Reinstall
5. Uninstall of DCU4, deleting the programm folder and cleaning of windows registry

My last activity was marking about 200 files with the build-in markers. Without further action i had to close DCU4. From then DCU4 ended every launching in crashing.

A deep quest in XP's own (and normally hidden) folders brought the cause: If you mark pictures DCU4 creates a CheckInfo.ini file. If you rename, delete or empty this file launching DCU4 will work normally... until you mark some pictures!

You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

Please remember: I'm using Windows XP Home (german edition). Therefore folder names are different from other languages editions!

Good luck
claus
01-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Worked for me too. Deleted checkinfo.ini.

01-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #8

Same here !
Thanks so much !
I had just updated my bios on a HP pavilion dv6t win7x64 and I thought that was causing all the trouble.
This should be a sticky.
03-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

I just wanted to give this athread a bump because it just saved me much frustration, and I thought it may help someone else.
03-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

[langtitle=el]I have promplem[/langtitle]

I have the same promplem when i use this program can anybody from pentax help us???????????????
03-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Inactive Account

[langtitle=el]I have promplem[/langtitle]

i have the same promplem when i use this program can anybody from pentax help us???????????????
05-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #12

I had this problem but claus' fix worked easily. thanks!
06-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by claus Quote

1. Try to launch again
3. Reinstall

Good luck
claus
I dont have a local settings folder. Windows XP. I tried a search as well and was not able to locate the file folder that is recommended for deletion or renaming...thoughts???

Thanks!
06-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucas Quote
I dont have a local settings folder. Windows XP. I tried a search as well and was not able to locate the file folder that is recommended for deletion or renaming...thoughts???

Thanks!
Just got off the phone with Pentax. You do not need to reinstall or even upgrade.

There's a bug in the program that causes it to crash if you exit the program while any photos have a check mark in the box.

Take all of your photos and move them to a new folder (do NOT name the folder PENTAX). I called mine K-X.

Delete the original folder and relaunch the program.

Worked perfect for me
08-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

...ha funzionato rinominare il CheckInfo.ini anche con me

thanks