Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Just give Viveza 2 a try, and you will see what I mean.
Thanks a lot for all the information and the pointer to Viveza 2.
The changes to the images in the demo look impressive but I don't like the fact that you have to duplicate control points. I prefer a brush metaphor or a way to select a logical area (like the sky) as one object.
First, the circular areas of the control points don't seem to be very adequate for many logical areas (or do they have an auto mask feature?) and second if you want to later on adjust a control point, I guess you have to also adjust all duplicates of it.

EDIT: Just found out that you can group control points to get the synchronisation I was missing. Still not sure about how good the control points are at exactly selecting what I'm interested in (could be just the upper region of an eye).

Also, the overlying of the controls over the image seems distracting to me. Is there a way to avoid this?

Last edited by Class A; 05-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
05-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #17

One thing I noticed about C1 is that it doesn't automatically take care of hot pixels, while LR does. Am I wrong?
05-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had no idea C1 was this good, might have to check out the trial.
05-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Had no idea C1 was this good, might have to check out the trial.
I download the trail version but found the color reproducion seems quite different from pentax digital camera utility (I use vibrant mode). And it is not as sharp too. Anything I did wrong?

06-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I download the trail version but found the color reproducion seems quite different from pentax digital camera utility (I use vibrant mode). And it is not as sharp too. Anything I did wrong?
As I understand it, you are comparing highly processed in-camera JPEGs to RAW images. You can adjust the RAW file in C1 for color balance, sharpness and lots of other things to achieve the look that you like. You can also create Styles, if you so choose. There is even an Automatic adjustment, if you're feeling particularly lazy.

Rob
11-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm giving C1 6 Pro a try and I've so far noticed a strange thing. I Experiencing severe magenta tinting on all of my DNG files - never noticed this in Lightroom.

Any ideas?
11-26-2011, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Wow. Reviving an old thread

This is a well-known issue with the way Capture One processes Pentax DNG's that I and other Pentax users have complained to Capture One about repeatedly.

Basically Capture One does not fully support DNG as a RAW format.

Capture One support will tell you that they only fully optimize C1 for processing Pentax RAW's in Pentax's native PEF format. So if you want to use Capture One to process your RAW files, shoot in PEF.

This of course sucks if you already have lots of Pentax DNG's in your image library.

Capture One have shown no enthusiasm to change this behaviour of their product.

11-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Wow. Reviving an old thread
Yeh, I felt it would be better than creating a new one.

Good to hear I'm not alone on this one. C1 would really have to convince me in order for me to change to PEF. I like DNG for what it is, and what Adobe is trying to archive with it (establish a standard).

I've only thouched the surface in the app and need to give it more time, but I've noticed getting rid of the false color can be very tricky. I have some old pics that I shot in PEF format. I'll try with those as well.

Thank you for your reply.
11-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the latest update added dng for pentax profiles, but I haven't tried it as I always shot pef.
11-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Whoa - stop the press.

I just downloaded and installed the latest (v6.3.2) version of C1 Express and it seems to handle Pentax (K-x and K200D) DNG's just fine!!!!!!!

I'd like to think this change is due to the sample K-x DNG's I sent them as evidence of C1's poor DNG rendering, but I doubt I was alone.

Good news and thank you C1 support for listening.

Last edited by rawr; 11-26-2011 at 09:38 AM.
11-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sounds great. I'll make sure I have the latest version. One thing I really like about C1 so far, is that it's so much faster than Lightroom. I've used LR for a year now and still have not become used to it's performance.

It's a shame C1 doesn't do DAM, although I think I could live with that in case I decided to make a converter/developer switch.
11-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I installed the latest version and my photos are showing up properly now. The cam etc. is being recognized as well.

Something that worried me before, but I didn't mention it because of my limited time with the demo, was that I felt some of the dials were too sensitive. For instance the color balance was difficult to fine tune. It's behaving much more "natural" now too.

Looking forward to spend more time with C1.