Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I used and loved Corel. i got a free version with a printer years ago, upgraded to Photo Paint X and got to be fairly good at it. I made the big leap to Photoshop because I wanted to do more. It was hard to find tutorials for corel online, but there are tons out there for Photoshop. It has really opened up PP for me.

Hated layers until I understood them. Now there are the only way to go.

The Forum here is another great resource, for most anything.

12-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FastStone

I also use PhotoShop sometimes (but not very often) to do unusual things. To adjust white balance, I use the Pentax software (I usually shoot RAW).

However, almost all my routine processing is done with FastStone (FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... - the "FastStone Image Viewer" program), which is free. I reads .pef files just fine, and I found it extremely easy to use. It even does very nice batch processing.

-Joe-
12-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While you're fumbling around trying to learn the programs cited above, do yourself a favor and download a free copy of Faststone Image Viewer. Not only is it a very versatile viewer and sorting program, you'll be able to handle 90% of the basic crop, size and color adjustments you could do in the top end programs - but for free.

The great advantage of Photoshop Elements is that every photo magazine on the market seems to publish tutorials by the basket full whereas you'll rarely see any reference to Corel's PSP or other software in how-to-do-it articles. Sort'a like Canikon vs. Pentax reviews - market share rules.

H2
12-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
I used and loved Corel. i got a free version with a printer years ago, upgraded to Photo Paint X and got to be fairly good at it. I made the big leap to Photoshop because I wanted to do more. It was hard to find tutorials for corel online, but there are tons out there for Photoshop. It has really opened up PP for me.

Hated layers until I understood them. Now there are the only way to go.

The Forum here is another great resource, for most anything.
I 've always found translating "adobe speek" to "corel speek" was pretty easy.
Sorry to see you went to the darkside....
BTW:
You can start Corel w/ an Adobe "shell" btw.... but I've always found Adobe more difficult to navigate and understand...

12-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #20

I have two recommendations for you:

1) Try Raw Therapee which is free and a really high quality raw developer.

And as you have developed your own film perhaps a look at one that isn't free but very 'right' in how it approaches PP for a photographer.

2) Lightzone.
12-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
Well, I use ACDSee Pro 3, Simalar to Lightroom, It can do all the major and minor corrections, Has built in RAW develper (non-distructuve for RAW & JPG), and can clone and heal if needed in the Edit Side.....
Thanks for the tip on ACDSee Pro 3. I've been flailing around trying to find an intuitive program for RAW and this one works very well! Thanks again.
12-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #22

The best app for PP is CaptureOne. Why? Because it has very minimal features, so you don't waste time tweaking things that won't make a difference.

If you need to do some photo editing, then PS Elements is very good and "cheap".

Concerning Gimp, you'll get pissed really quickly and/or will be very inefficient.

12-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This has been a good thread thus far. I'll be checking it regularly. Something very simple to use would be preferable for the occasional user like myself.

I've have the full suite of Adobe products since the K100 arrived two years ago, but rarely use them. They're certainly not remotely used to their potential when opened. A few tutorials would likely help a great deal.
12-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
The best app for PP is CaptureOne. Why? Because it has very minimal features, so you don't waste time tweaking things that won't make a difference.

If you need to do some photo editing, then PS Elements is very good and "cheap".

Concerning Gimp, you'll get pissed really quickly and/or will be very inefficient.
I tried CaptureOne and really liked it...then bought a new computer and tried to find it to download again. Either I'm blind or all I can find are sites including Adobe which claim you need CS4 to use it. I never had CS4 only PS Elements. Can you direct me to where I can download it?

UPDATE

Duh....I found it...I must have been deranged when I last tried.

Something new this time. Now it claims that it has not been approved for XP users and to continue at your own risk. So being deranged, I did. Has anyone else experienced problems using CaptureOne with XP?

Last edited by pardes; 12-25-2009 at 02:15 PM.
12-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #25

CaptureOne: Phase One -
12-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #26

My Experience....

When I started it was more simple because the number of programs for processing was much smaller and the capabilities were much more limited. Nevertheless, I got caught up in the process. I went through quite a few programs. I didn't find any that met all my needs, including ease of use.

I was sitting in front of the computer one day and thought, "I don't enjoy this. I wish I was out taking pictures." An epiphany. I enjoy taking pictures. Some people enjoy post-processing and creating graphic art. I enjoy taking photos. Processing them is something I have to do.

For me, cost is a feature. I can't imagine spending $944 to get Photoshop.

So, consider what your goal is, check you bank account, read the reviews and comments, and bite the bullet.

A personal note. I have a friend who is a recently retired photographer and a Photoshop whiz. I was not confident in my post-processing and invited him over. I had selected 15 photos with specific problems. I processed my photos while he watched. His two most frequent comments were, "I can do that in Photoshop," and "That's fast." He also mentioned a few things I could do with Photoshop that I can't do with Adobe Lightroom. In the end, I was much more comfortable with what I was doing and while there are a couple of features I want that aren't in Lightroom, I'm not willing to switch.
12-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #27

Use your Computer's software for a start, iPhoto on a Mac and Image viewer until you find they lack what you need. Figure out what you need in 3 or 4 different wordings and look for the simplest software that does what you want and you're ready to pay for (or not : free open source software is sometimes both good and free)
12-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
CaptureOne: Phase One -
Cute!

I must be coming unreaveled! I didn't realize it cost over $250. So,,,,,I'm back to wondering what to use that costs lest than $60.

I really like PSE8 or Gimp for PP after Raw is converted. Where I stumble is finding a user-friendly RAW processing.

Or...is the amount of lossless editing not even worth going to a RAW processer first?

Last edited by pardes; 12-27-2009 at 10:54 PM.
01-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #29

C1 costs $129. The features only found in the more expensive Pro version are not of absolute necessity.
01-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

What you need to start out with is a program called lightroom. This will allow you to make basic edits without the need for photoshop. You should eventually buy it but learn lightroom first.