Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Poster Glare - I need help

I have all the tools (CS4 , LR 2) and soooo little skill can you help a fellow forum member out ?

Here is the picture I need help with. I have several like this. What I want to do is eliminate or at least lessen the glare from the poster behind them. A good photographer would have noticed that before hand and taken his time to fix it int he camera

Thanks in advance for any tips you offer.

12-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually, I don't know that there was anythng to do about that in camera. A polarizer filter *might* have heped, but perhas not enough. A really good photographer would have simply asked the subject to stand somewhere else :-)

As for PP, the problem is the lights are too light, so I'd consider a curve to darken them, or whatever tools your programs have to do things like that. Or you could select the background and darken the whole thing.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 12-18-2009 at 11:26 AM.
12-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have all the tools (CS4 , LR 2) and soooo little skill can you help a fellow forum member out ?

Here is the picture I need help with. I have several like this. What I want to do is eliminate or at least lessen the glare from the poster behind them. A good photographer would have noticed that before hand and taken his time to fix it int he camera

There is nothing you can do, really. OIfcourse you can get the colours right, the face is far too Magenta. And you can clone out some highlights in the white parts of the poster. And if you have time to invest, you can sure clone some of the typo etc. But there is no pp, which can eliminate the specular highlights.

The only thing you can do for future shots, place two lights at app. 45 degs. angles to the left and right of the subject and above it (typical group shot lighting). That should prevent this evil glare. But only, if the poster is straightend beforehand.

Ben
12-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha thanks Mark I should have noticed it and changed the angle (as the poster was what they wanted) .....live and learn. I did a little experiment with just that selecting the background and darkening it , it helps somewhat. I think cloning would work as well but that is a lot of work per photo.

I googled and did not see any magic PS action that would fix it , I kinda figured it was a PIA. Thanks for the reply I appreaciate it.

12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben yeah this was unedited just to show the glare - I have no lights and only did this as a favor to my daughter - will know better next time ...
12-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can set the white point at a darker point of the white background. And adjust gamma and exposure afterwards. Maybe into this direction (cf. attachment):

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:29 AM.
12-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #7

If the person is the important part of the shot, and isn't available, then reshoot the posters with out the glare. A flash to the side or angled just right should take care of it. Then cut the person from the one exposure and put them in the other one. Its a way to handle it and is also great practice.

I agree, I would have noticed the glare and moved to subject. (most of the time anyway.)

12-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Falk that is better than anything I have tried.
12-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You can set the white point at a darker point of the white background. And adjust gamma and exposure afterwards. Maybe into this direction (cf. attachment):
Setting the white point to match the glare will reduce tonality and increase contrast. It only really makes sense, if it is used, while masking out the person in front, to treat that separately. It is not much of an effort, fi the numbers of images are not huge, but it takes some time.

Ben
12-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #10

Hmmmm I attempted to do a quick reconstruction of the photo. Going to a less diverse color scheme, ie some muted tones or just some simple color adjustments make it easier, I made it look crappy so I just went to black and white.

The soccer kids at the top would have required a lot more patients to reconstruct than I have at midnight.

so lets pretend they dont exist, maybe just remove them all together and do some cropping.

So it is possible, just will take some time...

Color could have been done but I didn't want to add another level of work to my short example lol
12-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Setting the white point to match the glare
I proposed to set the white point to match the shadows beneath the glare ...
12-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow Falk that is impressive ..... thank so much BW looks great ! You could have submitted that is last weeks contest before and after - great save.
12-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow Falk that is impressive ..... thank so much BW looks great !
I assume you meant flockofbirds' work which is great indeed.
12-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I proposed to set the white point to match the shadows beneath the glare ...
Which would narrow down the available tonal range even more. I think flockbird's cloning is an overall much more tedious but better option. Also, what "The the Sword" wrote is probale the best solution: reshoot just the poster and cut/paste the portaits into it. But depending on the numbers, this may be very time consuming, indeed.

Ben
12-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's a little Photoshopping.
Did it quick just to give you an idea what you can do with PS.
Blurred background a bit and fixed it a bit (quick).
Attached Images