Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Geotag

I have been shooting in raw mode and using PEF format for the slightly smaller files that format makes in-camera vs. DNG. Lately I have been thinking about tagging my images with GPS coordinates from a tracklog file and can't find anything that runs in Windows that will work with PEF files.

It seems the way to go is to export to JPEG first then tag those, but I tend to treat JPG files as temporary - to post, send, make slideshows, etc. and throw them away when done. That would make it a pain to do stuff like searching for photos by location if I need to keep tagged jpg copies of everything.

Anyway, I thought I'd enquire here as to what others are doing in the area of GEOTAGging their images, especially those working mostly in RAW.
--
dbh

09-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am also looking at the same thing I usually shoot in DNG and would prefer not to convert files to jpg to geotag the files.

Anyone out there have this dialed in?

Thanks,

John
09-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I geotag all my files. To get around the PEF not being able to write to with geotagging software, I take the PEF's from my camera and convert them to DNG with Adobe's free DNG converter.

The DNG converter will usually result in file sizes smaller than the original PEF (still lossless) that can work with Geotagging software.

I then do all my tagging and cataloging with the DNG file converted from the PEF since DNG can take in most information like a JPG can.

The only issue I would have is if I used the Pentax Photo Lab to process RAWs (I don't). PPL cannot take DNG files unless they are from the camera.

DNG files from the camera can also take embedded geotag information provided the right software is used for it.

RoboGeo (small cost) and GPICSync (freeware) are two great programs for tagging photos, and they both work with DNG files.
09-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
The only issue I would have is if I used the Pentax Photo Lab to process RAWs (I don't). PPL cannot take DNG files unless they are from the camera.
PPL didn't have support for compressed DNG. AdobeDNG creates compressed DNG files unless you tell it not to. PPL 3.51 does now have support for compressed DNG so there is no issue with Adobe converted DNG files.

Thank you
Russell