Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Printing Quality

I've searched, couldn't find. Is there a difference in print quality if you print from tiffs or jpegs?
Thanks,

12-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe, if the dpi, color space, printer/paper profile are all the same, there should not be and difference. What matters is how you get to the final file for printing. Given that jpegs can loose quality and tiffs generally don't, there could be a difference but if you compensated for all the other stuff related to printing, it shouldn't matter. That's my conclusion from my recently concluded digital photography class where we did a lot of printing.

I'm sure there are other opinions on this but I also believe this is a very complicated subject.
12-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neilj Quote
I've searched, couldn't find. Is there a difference in print quality if you print from tiffs or jpegs?
Thanks,
in short: no.

That assumes, that the jpgs are not compressed beyond the 90% quality setting (but this is also a question of print size) and are only the final output for ptinting. The only thing about jpgs you need to be careful about is, that most printing machines automatically assume sRGB, when jpgs are printed. So, if you usually work in adobeRGB or ProPhoto colour spaces, you need to convert to sRGB before sending the jpgs out, as otherwise the colours will be off.

Ben
12-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neilj Quote
Thanks,
Actually there could be... jpg compression can compromise an image in theory. In practice it is probably not so noticeable..
All images, in general should be sharpened before printing (sometimes to the point of not looking so good on a monitor) and I'd prefer to do this in TIFF...
I think it would be hard to argue that TIFF is better then jpg if Ultimate quality is needed...
When to use a TIF and when to use a JPEG | Jason Slater Technology Blog | Design
Search harder...

12-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone.
Thanks for the link Jeffkrol.
12-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally think that it's better to print from tiff rather than JPEG especially if you have lots of highlights. I print up to A3+ and at this size I have noticed smoother tones, smaller prints might not be so sensitive. Highly compressed JPEG's can be quite horrible printed at any size.

Justin.