Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
Have you tried DNG instead?
This question was overlooked.. and its valid. Why use PEF? ...Why not DNG?

11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows won't natively recognize a DNG either. There are downloads available for both.
11-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneK100D Quote
I think that I may have solved the problem of viewing PEFs in Windows 7. There is a download from Pentax that seems to address the problem. The website is : PENTAX RAW codec software for Windows : Software Downloads : PENTAX After I downloaded this, all my files started displaying as thumbnails and not the orange flower. Try this and see if it works for you.
QuoteOriginally posted by c3p0 Quote
Have you tried the software on 64-bit versions of WIndows?
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Yes it does work on Windows 7 64 bit version. Running it right now. I don't know about Windows 8.

But, but, but . . . . .

Direct from the Pentax download site linked to by GeneK100D:

QuoteQuote:
System requirement OS : Windows Vista (32 bit) and Windows 7 (32 bit)
*It is not compatible with Windows Vista (64bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit)
So, interested_observer, are you running Windows 7 Pro, or Windows 7 Home?
11-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It is a problem if you have been shooting in PEF obviously but I would switch to using DNG from now on. I cant understand why anyone would shoot in PEF when you can just as easy shoot in DNG. I use CS4 for developing my Pentax RAW DNG files. I have never even downloaded the silky pix thing. Im thinking though.... with adobe you get adobe bridge which is ok for viewing and sorting etc. Does silkypix not have a simlar viewer that is compatable with your system ? Sorry, it was just a thought

11-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Shooting in DNG has a definite advantage if you do your PP in Lightroom or Photoshop. If you're not using an Adobe product, then PEF might be a better choice.