Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with Adobe Elements 8

I downloaded the trial version of AE8, and I have played around a bit with some RAW images my wife and I shot recently with our new K7. One feature I was particularly interested in was noise reduction. So, we took some night time indoor shots with ISO ramped up to 3200. I applied the AE8 noise reduction and was thoroughly unimpressed. Granted I am using an Apple macbook, so the screen resolution isn't the most ideal, still after applying the noise reduction I could see no difference.

Does the noise reduction suck in AE8? Should I be using Noise Ninja instead of the Adobe plug in?

Thanks!

12-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #2

I don't know wheteher I would say it sucks, but I HAVE found Noiseware's product --even their free Community edition www.imagenomic.com/nwsa.aspx-- to actually work better than the noise reduction in PSE.
12-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
I don't know wheteher I would say it sucks, but I HAVE found Noiseware's product --even their free Community edition www.imagenomic.com/nwsa.aspx-- to actually work better than the noise reduction in PSE.
+1 same experience I had. Noiseware is the goto for me.
12-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have Elements 7 and PS CS4, and I am unimpressed with the noise reduction for both those Adobe products. I use Neat Image - noise reduction.

01-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've always felt that the noise reduction in Adobe's Lightroom also is lacking.

I currently use Topaz Denoise.

Lightroom Ver 3 Beta is out and advertises that it provides better noise removal, but we'll see.
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

+1 for neat image. Especially for removal of scan noise.
01-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not your Macbook, my Macbook Pro is the same. I'm using Topaz deNoise, and like it better than Noise Ninja.
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I have Elements 7 and PS CS4, and I am unimpressed with the noise reduction for both those Adobe products. I use Neat Image - noise reduction.
Another vote for Neat Image.

01-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

And another vote for Noiseware. I really don't find that Adobe NR has much value at all.

The Noiseware Community Edition is free, not just a trial verson. There are also plugin and stand-alone paid editions available for trial. Even the free edition is worlds ahead of Adobe's integrated (but mostly harmless) attempt. If I were noise, I'd not see Adobe as a threat.

Between Neat Image and Noiseware, you should find something at a reasonable price - free isn't too shabby in my book! Let us know what you learn and decide!
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the noiseware tip. I'll give the plugin a go - Free is indeed all good.
01-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do not use the noise reduction in AE8, instead, like others here, I use Neatimage--nice software. BTW, there is a free version of Neatimage, which is what I use, available at their site too.