Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
attack Most of the sites I've seen suggest USM first (either in ACR of whatever RAW program you're using) or in Photoshop, for capture sharpening, then whatever edits, then finally an output sharpening to fit the medium (web, print, etc).

That's what's confusing me: if ACR imposes a 25% default sharpening to offset the demosaicing of the specific camera (for the K20 that's 20% amount, 1.0 radius and 25 detail) is that additive to any other sharpening? Or does it just undo the camera's color algorithm. I've tried it, opening a default sharpened RAW file and "0" sharpened RAW file in PS and using USM at 20%/50 radius on both and I don't see any difference.
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
Damn Brit

Here's an interesting tutorial about what RAW format is - Tutorials - The RAW File Format
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brit, there are tons of things about RAW online, but this is the best I've read yet. I think I might finally understand a bit of it. Thanks for linking it,Brian
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I reckon it's because the Pentax RAW program is terrible and gives bad results, but you cleverly circumvented its will to muddy up your photos by using a format it's not used to. A better piece of software will probably not give these results.
Actually, the results are quite good. I used it for over a year. The interface is pretty bad, though.