Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
RAW to Tiff to jpg image

I've just tried this for the first time. I saved a RAW image to .tif, and then saved that to .jpg. This resulting .jpg image had considerably more edge sharpness than a ,jpg image made directly from the same RAW image, and the overall picture had more detail. Anybody else tried this, or does everybody do it, and I've been behind the curve? (Or is it a nutty idea?) Anyway, I tried it again with a macro RAW image and got the same result. (The comparisons were made from a portion of the RAW image blown up to 200% on the screen -- but the difference was noticeable with the full images at normal screen viewing size.) Happy New Year!

12-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #2

Interesting, I don't know how having saving as a tiff between the raw and jpg would help anything. But it might have something to due with file algorithms. Tiff is a lossless format with no compression and I think its based on amount of colors, whereas jpg is based on dimensions of the image. I may have to try this.
12-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If there was any difference at all, it's an accident of the specific program you used and the specific command you used within that program. Which is to say, something you did *right* when converting to/from TIFF, but something "wrong* when going straight to JPEG.
12-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When converting or exporting from RAW to jpeg, there is usually an option to determine the quality of the output jpeg file. Don't know what computer program you are using to convert but this option is definitely there. You may need to check on this.

01-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, now that I know better, it probably won't work again! Thanks for your comments. An answer to one question -- I use the Pentax RAW program that came with the K20D. And, I really don't know what I could have done "right" or "wrong" -- I just punch the buttons.
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tried it again just now. Same result. Both jpgs made to highest quality. Would someone else please try it and see what happens? It's kinda spooky.
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I reckon it's because the Pentax RAW program is terrible and gives bad results, but you cleverly circumvented its will to muddy up your photos by using a format it's not used to. A better piece of software will probably not give these results.

01-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll try it in PS Elements and see what happens. I don't have a separate RAW
program. Thanks.
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I reckon it's because the Pentax RAW program is terrible and gives bad results, but you cleverly circumvented its will to muddy up your photos by using a format it's not used to. A better piece of software will probably not give these results.
I found that using either Pentax Utilities or CR will give bad results if your photos are originally bad from the start, that is: right from the box.

JP
01-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Damn Brit

I know that RAW doesn't apply any sharpening but JPEG does. I'm not sure about TIFF but if it does then possibly that would explain what you are seeing, a kind of douple sharpening.
01-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lee Quote
I'll try it in PS Elements and see what happens. I don't have a separate RAW
program. Thanks.
Tom I understand you used Pentax photo lab to convert from raw to tiff? With what software did you convert the tiff to jpeg? And what settings did you use for these conversions?
Was the raw just converted with the photo lab settings all set to mid point and the levels bar graph a straight line etc.?
Was the tif conversion as per the unaltered save settings and the same question for the jpeg?
My version of photo lab [which I upgraded recently to see if it had improved] only saves to jpeg ?
Did you not use pentax photo browser which will allow you to save first as a tif [8 or 16 bit] then save the tif as a jpeg , all unaltered?
I just tried that and apart from the usual slight sharpening and colours boost that the pentax software does even on a neutral setting I can't see any improvement as you go along the work flow.unfortunately we can't post .png and .tif so I can't attach the 3 images.
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 01-04-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: still can't spell
01-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Brit, I thought RAW did apply default sharpening based on the specific camera and then it had to be turned off before opening the file in PS or risk double sharpening and the problems that creates? Did I misread something along the way or am I confusing ACR and RAW files again?
Brian
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Damn Brit

RAW files are unprocessed so therefore there is no sharpening, that's according to various sources that I've looked at. A JPEG file is processed and because there is data loss when one is created I would assume that creates a necessity for some sharpening. That's not to say a JPEG shouldn't be sharpened just that one should be more careful.
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, this reference has me confused:
"A default (sharpening) setting of 25% is applied to all raw or raw DNG images, but if you open a TIFF, or JPEG image, Camera Raw assumes the image has already been pre-sharpened and applies a 0% Amount setting." LINK
Brian
01-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Well, this reference has me confused:
"A default (sharpening) setting of 25% is applied to all raw or raw DNG images, but if you open a TIFF, or JPEG image, Camera Raw assumes the image has already been pre-sharpened and applies a 0% Amount setting." LINK
Brian
that's just stating that acr has a default of 25% for sharpening. i set that to 0 every time i upgrade acr 'cause i rely on a smart sharpen in photoshop as my last step before saving to the final format (usually a png). in general, sharpening should always be your last step.