Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #1

Need help determining which system is better for Photo Editing

OK so I need some help figuring out which machine would be better for photoshop. I recently acquired a Power Mac G5 and have no idea about it (never owned a Mac before). I know it has a Dual Core 2.5GHZ processor and 1.5GB of PC 3200 (which I would probably upgrade to 2GB eventually), runs Leopard 10.5.

My other machine is an Athlon X2 4850e with a Foxconn A7GM-S, AMD 780G chipset, DDR 2 1066.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186141
The machine will be running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and has 2GB of RAM.

I don't care about anything except for Photoshop performance. Which one would be faster/better and would there be a very big difference? I will be working with 6 megapixel RAW images.

I am leaning toward selling the Power Mac for a profit and saving the money, this is why I ask.

01-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

The Mac you described is a previous generation PowerPC. It was a high end graphics oriented system in it's day. Apple moved away from Motorola PPC cores to Intel several years ago.

If Photoshop is installed on the G5 then it maybe worthwhile giving it a go to see if MacOSX is right for you. Otherwise if you don't own a Mac version of PS and would need to purchase it, then I would decide on what OS (Windows/OSX) you prefer and then invest in the Software apps. I decided to go the Mac route and haven't been disappointed so far.
01-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
basically one of the only bottlenecks in modern home computing is the harddrive. I have a quad core but only because games can take advantage of that and a few encoding programs. Many programs are still single threaded. In translation; You ram and processor are never going to truly be maxed out ever. Now since you have an old powerPC powermac i am not sure that photoshop beyond CS4 is even supported. Let alone current versions of CS4.

If you really want to see any kind of real performance boost you need to get a solid state hard drive.