Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Confused about lens corrections in DNG

Hi All,
I shoot in DNG. I currently have the bundled pentax silkypix and Elements (7). I shoot with a k7 and a bunch of (DA) pentax lenses.

I shoot with the lens correction/aberrations ticked.

For Elements, does the exif in the DNG read with the required lens corrections, or is it manual for each shot? I presume that this answer means that lightroom will also do the same? I am looking at Lightroom - My better half is a teacher, and that means a nice educational discount if I play my cards right.

Thanks

01-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, after doing some more searching I found this thread, which indicates that correction profiles are stored in DNG profile.

I am just playing with Elements at present and if I process a DNG image, a "embedded" profile option appears. Interestingly this option does not appear if I try and process a PEF. Adobe standard and Camera standard options only appear.
01-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a feeling that you need to either use the bundled software or else shoot in camera jpegs to get lens corrections to work, but I could be wrong.
A quick trip to your owners manual will probably tell you if this is correct.
01-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I've been away a couple of days so apologize.
It looks like the DNG profile has space for the lens corrections, but I can't tell whether these are recorded by the camera in DNG. I will experiment and post back to this thread.

01-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I'm interested in what you find out.
03-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again, sorry for the (extended) delay in testing. It involved getting time away from the baby, finding that I had left my tripod shoe in another city and getting that back.

So I shot with a 16-45mm at close range (~30cm) to accentuate distortion at a fairly wide angle onto a sheet of grid paper.

I shot jpg lens/aberration corrected, DNG likewise and DNG without correction.

Only the Jpg was corrected when processing in lightroom or elements. The embedded camera profile did not appear to populate values related to lens correction.

Therefore it is a bust for now using Adobe products on pentax DNG's.
03-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. You're right, Adobe products don't correct for lens distortion. There's a $25 plugin for Photoshop, PTLens that does a good job with both lens distortion and chromatic aberration. It also works as a stand alone app. Most regular Photoshop plugins will work with Elements, so you might give it a try. There's a free demonstration period to test it out.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365

03-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I have downloaded the standalone to take a peek. Lightroom is definitely on my radar, so plugin could be nice.
I wonder if we could somehow pull the lens information out of Pentax DCU......
03-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Thanks, I have downloaded the standalone to take a peek. Lightroom is definitely on my radar, so plugin could be nice.
I wonder if we could somehow pull the lens information out of Pentax DCU......
Boy, wouldn't that be nice. I just don't know of any way to both shoot raw and totally automate lens correction. If you find something I'd love to know. PT Lens is the best I've found.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365