Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good book on Photo shop CS2 ???

Can some of you guys suggest a good book on CS2 ??

Thanks

06-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Classroom in a Book" from Adobe. Very thorough, great explanations.

Scott Kelby: "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers". Example based, shows a lot of creative techniques and tricks.

Bruce Fraser: "Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS"

Can't decide? Buy them all, they offer different angles on the subject!
06-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote

Thanks
If you are referring to a photoshop book about digital photography, then Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby is a good one.

good luck,

cheers

randy
06-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah! I got the Scott Kelby . I will get the others later . I am sure Scott's book will keep me busy for a while .

Thanks guys

06-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I find Martin Evening's hefty Photoshop for Photographers books to be absolutely fantastic. I would recommend the CS3 version to anyone who has upgraded. I picked it up yesterday and have already gotten about a third of the through it. It's a bit expensive, but definitely worth it.

This is the CS2 one.
06-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Scott Kelby: "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers". Example based, shows a lot of creative techniques and tricks.
Good book. Kelby has a good conversational style.

QuoteQuote:
Bruce Fraser: "Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS"
Consider Fraser's Real World Photoshop CS2.
06-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Scott kelby book sits next to me all the time.

06-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks

Scott's book should be in my mailbox anyday now :-) . I will check out the others later .
06-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers Only" by Ken Milburn and Doug Sahlin. It looks good, and is well illustrated, but the problem I see with these are that they all seem to assume you already know your way around Photoshop. Which I don't!
06-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
and
Veteran Member

I learned 85% of my PP skills from reading all of ron bigelows excellent articles at Articles read and understand all of those and you will have all the basics covered and then some. And best of all its free.
06-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiFilm Quote
... they all seem to assume you already know your way around Photoshop. Which I don't!
yes, I was in your situation. I use a number of 3d CAD programs: big and complex but a couple of them have mastered intuitive software program workflow. Adobe photoshop is the opposite, it still follows the programmer's model of hiding and obscuring functions and routines.

Take a beginners photoshop class at whatever school or college, approximately 4 - 8 classes, it's worth it. It should start off identifying tools and how to use them, basically get you to begin to know your way around photoshop. The rest is up to you, and it gets alot easier with that foundation, photoshop tips and tricks start to make sense. Very highly recommended.
06-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #12
Forum Member

Donald,

I'm looking around for online classes atm, but having a difficult time fitting them into my (odd hours and days) work schedule, and some budget constraints.

I've thought about other (Windows platform - I don't have a Mac/Apple) programs like PSE 5, Bibble, and DxO for examples, but at every page I turn, I'm always told Photoshop is the "gold standard". I've heard it described elsewhere as "bloatware" and can easily understand why.

It'd be wonderful to just "get it right" right out of camera....eh, ...someday.
06-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

for years I used Corel photopaint. It was fine, what it lacks in some power features to photoshop it makes up with a much better intuitive software program workflow, things are more logically placed and grouped to get desired effects. Only problem is same that you mention: any tips, tricks, advice, classes, etc. are all adobe photoshop. Occasionally you run into something you just can't crack on your own.
07-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I learned 85% of my PP skills from reading all of ron bigelows excellent articles at Articles read and understand all of those and you will have all the basics covered and then some. And best of all its free.
thanks for the link... looks like great stuff to check out

cheers

randy
07-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote

Thanks
I just read a dynamite book on it a couple of nights ago. It is Idea To Image In Photoshop CS2. It's by Rick Sammon and while somewhat simple, it does an excellent job of explaining things. (It's the first time I've finally got a grip on using layers.) I'll also echo that any of the books by Scott Kelby are good.

If you really want to dive into the deep end of what CS2 does, get The Photoshop CS2 Bible, Professional Edition by Deke McClelland, Laurie Ulrich Fuller and Laurie Ulrich Fuller. Very detailed! If you want to read about stuff you never even thought of, this is the book.