Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Switching to Mac, Raw software?

Well I got myself a new wife and already she is trying to change me. She convinced me to switch to the dark side (well OK I'vve wanted to get a mac for a while) and I was wondering what RAW software was available. I know of Lightroom and Aperture but are there other options, eg Silky and Bibble?

06-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #2

Bibble make versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Try not to become a 'Mac Fanatic/Evangelist', they are soooo boring.

As i read recently on a Mac tech site, something to the tune (not I-Tunes) of "If Apple marketed a sardine tin with the Apple emblem and called it I-Sard, the fans would be queuing all night to buy one at $150 each"
06-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Forum Member

Switching to Mac, Raw Software? - THE OTHER WAY

Good Luck with the switch. If you want to do everything the way Steve Jobs tells you to you will love it....if not, beware.

In February, I made the switch from MAC to PC at the same time as I finally made a commitment to digital capture....thanks to PENTAX's K10D! My Mac G4 is now relegated to playing my music and my moves. I got my G4 when Epson introduce the 2200 with pigment inks as I wanted to print B&W digitally from my scanned negatives. With Photoshop and QTR this worked well. Then along came Aperture and Adobe's Lightroom. As a beta tester of Lightroom for the Mac, I came to realize that both Aperture and Lightroom are really "do it my way or else" software packages, especially in the data management.

So before committing to digital capture, I made an extensive 3 month survey of work flows based on Mac and PC. Also during this time Adobe announced Photoshop CS3's upgrade which was going to be a $200 hit to the pocketbook.

I concluded in my survey that neither Aperture or Lightroom were really sufficient to manage my digital files for the long term. Also Lightzone from Light Crafts became available and I was blow away with its approach to digital image editing, a real metaphor for the wet darkroom.

Cutting to the chase, I reverted to a custom built ($700 Duo Core PC, far less than a new Intel Mac) with the following software in the flow:

1. ImageIngester - ingestion of images will store the orginal PEF, a DNG conversion and copy of the DNG with embedded PEF, each in user specified drive locations - $40

2. IMatch digital image database - allows quick interface to almost any image editor. Has quick and easy categorization of images. - $60

3. Lightzone as my primary image editor with Picture Window Pro (from and old unused PC) for the times I need masking and perspective correction (until Lightzone adds those tools). The printing from LZ is also excellent.

3. QTR for printing B&W and curve making. - $50

4. Archive Creator for backing up to multi-spanned CD's/DVD's with a full thumbnail index of the entire archive on each disk. - $60

Lightzone is available for the Mac and I would suggest giving the latest 3.0 version ($249.95) a 30 day test drive before committing dollars to Adobe.

For me the key was that IMatch is only available for the PC. Anyway excluding the cost of the new computer, my software outlay was $460....just about equal to upgrading to CS3 and adding Lightroom for the Mac.

P.S. - Another reason for my switch......YEAH WRITE isn't available for the MAC!!!!!

Last edited by dmdctusa; 06-24-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Adding the PS
06-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The main reason I am switching to Mac is for digital recording. Macs have far less latency problems (hardware based delay in recording instruments via USB or Firewire) than PCs unless you have really expensive sound cards.

I have no intention of becoming a mac-vangelist as I am well aware that macs can crash and are not free of problems.

06-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Steve, I recently purchased a iMac 24 and included Aperture to play with my photos. I have been a DOS/PC/Microsoft person for the last 20 plus years. Went with the Apple after I purchased one for my son as a graduation gift and he has had nothing but great things to say about the system. I am still, and probably always will be, learning the Aperture software. The program has been very easy to use so far and I like the idea of dealing with one company if issues arrise. At any rate, I don't think owning an Apple has changed me MAC fanatic! lol
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

It's also irritating when people who use PC's (windows) say that macs suck when they have never even taken time to get used to the interface. The OS is more intuitive, cleaner, faster, more stable, the hardware is good and compact (in the case of MBP) with better battery life than most of the PC competition. And the software available NOW is good and pretty wide ranging. I'm not a Mac fanboy, I don't even own one, but after having worked on one for two weeks I intend to buy one. In terms of RAW, I use PS, so it's a free download for me on either system!
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #7

I'm with you pixelpruner - am bilingual-have a mac and fast Dell but love working on the mac. Gradually getting better with Aperture but curious if anybody has experience with the FixerLab products? Have the trial SizeFixer and looks pretty good.
07-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #8

Pixelmator

Pixelmator looks interesting.

07-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #9

Try Raw Developer from Iridient Digital. There is a free demo.
07-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
It's also irritating when people who use PC's (windows) say that macs suck when they have never even taken time to get used to the interface.

Is 18 years long enough to satisfy? Bought my first Mac in 1986 and sold my last Mac in 2004. Owned various Apple II computers for five years prior to 1986.

QuoteQuote:
The OS is more intuitive, cleaner, faster, more stable, (snip)

While I won't go so far as to say "Macs suck," I must dispute claims that the OS is more intuitive, cleaner, faster, and more stable. The Mac OS is only more intuitive and cleaner because it generally lacks the depth of options normally included with the typical Windows OS. As similar options are added to the Mac OS, much of that apparent intuitiveness and cleanliness disappears. Next, there is no significant difference in speed between these two operating systems when each are installed on equivalent hardware. Finally, my experience suggests both operating systems are equally stable out-of-the-box, with stability decreasing with both as the number of device drivers and applications installed increase. Mac users just typically install fewer drivers and applications (perhaps because fewer are available for that OS), ultimately giving rise to the claims of greater stability.

QuoteQuote:
And the software available NOW is good and pretty wide ranging.

Not that wide ranging. One certainly doesn't have to look hard to find plenty of software applications that will not run on a Mac, or hardware devices that won't work with a Mac. Since that is not likely to change anytime soon, it is something one should seriously ponder before buying a Mac. If this isn't an issue for you, and won't be an issue in the foreseeable future (you intend to only own devices which are Mac compatible, ignoring all the rest), then by all means feel free to buy a Mac (your choice is certainly none of my business). However, this is what finally drove me from the Mac to the PC.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-24-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
07-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I took a photoshop CS2 course at local college: computer lab all Apple somethings. At home I work on a PC. I found no difference in PS-CS2 between the 2 worlds both working with the program and navigating around folders and applications.
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, there is a bit of Mac hostility here. If PC users don't want Mac users to bash PC, maybe PC users should not bash Mac users.

As far as software for RAW development... There may be more options for Mac than there are for PC. I am not sure, I have not counted them, but there are a few that are only availble for Mac. Two have been mentioned here - Aperture and Raw Developer. Really, there are lots for either platform and they all do a respectable job. I know that this is an ambiguous answer, but based on reactions to Mac I don't want to offend the users of any software apps either.

****I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, available with identical features for PC and Mac****
07-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

Well - I have to chime in here.

I do not own a Mac, I have friends and past instructors who have Mac's and only use Mac's. It is not the hardware or the software that p*ss me off about Apple - it is the smugness of some (most) users. I for one have used non Apple computers since I bought my first PC in 1978 (before they were called PC's). Back then Apple cost too much - now they cost too much.

I know that the Adobe products available for the PC are available for Mac's - although I do not know if Elements is available. The iPhoto and iMovie default products are very nice - If Microsoft tried to "bundle" their equivalent into Windows - the DOJ (with insistance from Apple and Google) would go after them in a NY minute.

Apple people do not want to recognize that Apple is a monopoly. Apple builds the hardware, OS and a lot of applications. You can only run Apple applications and OS on Apple hardware.

Anyway - if you have an Apple - enjoy it. They are very capable machines when the proper software is loaded - I have seen some very nice work come out of Apple devices. As OS's/hardware/software move on, it will only get easier to do things.

You know - when I see a great image - I don't care what camera/Lens/PP software/computer it came from - it's about the image.

To paraphrase the late curator of Photography at MOMA
It is easy to take a photograph - It is hard to make a photograph that is intellectually stimulating and emotionally compelling.

PDL
07-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't figure out how Mac is a monopoly. Microsoft is the one that had to face congress for being a monopoly.

You can run Windows and Windows apps on a Mac. Can you run Mac or it's apps on a PC?

I have both. All the peripherals I use on the PC I run on the Mac and on the Mac I don't need to load drivers.

I love that the machine, OS and apps are designed by the same people. That is why they work so well. When I have problems with my PC I get the run around - the software people say it is the operating system, who say it is the hardware, who say it is the software. All the players play by their own rules and don't communicate so it's no wonder they don't communicate on my computer.

Like I say, I have both. While neither is perfect, the Mac gives me FAR less problems.
07-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Wow, there is a bit of Mac hostility here. If PC users don't want Mac users to bash PC, maybe PC users should not bash Mac users.

After many years of hearing "Buy a Mac" in response to nearly every mention of a problem on a PC, I'm sure most PC users are more than happy to do a little Mac bashing now in return. In my opinion, they should perhaps get their satisfaction by running around the Mac forums proclaiming "Buy a PC" at every opportunity.

By the way, how did it go above from Mac users bashing the PC to PC users bashing Mac users? I wasn't aware either group was so much bashing users as bashing what each were using.

stewart