Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bulk creation of JPG with Pentax photo lab software

Hi All,

Is there a way to create jpg files from a large number of raw files using Pentax Photo Laboratory without opening each one and manually saving the file? It's good when you want to tweak the file but painful if you don't.

I presume the "extract jpeg" function in Photo browser extracts the low resolution jpeg embedded in the raw file. I want to create a high quality jpg.

Thanks,
Rob

01-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Hi All,

Is there a way to create jpg files from a large number of raw files using Pentax Photo Laboratory without opening each one and manually saving the file? It's good when you want to tweak the file but painful if you don't.

I presume the "extract jpeg" function in Photo browser extracts the low resolution jpeg embedded in the raw file. I want to create a high quality jpg.

Thanks,
Rob
I believe you just batch import all the files you want to convert.
In Windows this would be done by hovering over the first file in the selection window to select it and them shift and click the last file to grab it and everything in between.
Note, I haven't used the Pentax software for over 5 years, but I recall this is how it was done with the istD software.
01-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi All,

Thanks,
Rob
Wheatfield is correct on loading multiple files into Pentax Photo Laboratory. You can stipulate the file type and compression ratio to save the converted files on the tool bar before you save the files. It converts the actual RAW file into either two variants of TIF files or one of five compression rates for JPG files.

You want to make sure you have the settings that you want for the conversion all set before saving the files because they will all receive the same adjustments when saved. Also Pentax Photo Lab will save the JPG files back into the same directory as the RAW files came from. When doing individual conversions you can choose the save directory at the time of saving. Batch operations don't give you that option. Pentax Photo Lab is really a quite capable piece of RAW conversion software. I like it better than Paintshop Pro Photo X2 Deluxe for RAW conversions.

Note: Pentax Photo Lab converts the actual RAW file and not just the low resolution JPG that accompanies the RAW file.

Last edited by jimH; 01-21-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added Note:
01-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Wheatfield is correct on loading multiple files into Pentax Photo Laboratory. You can stipulate the file type and compression ratio to save the converted files on the tool bar before you save the files. It converts the actual RAW file into either two variants of TIF files or one of five compression rates for JPG files.
OK, thanks. It wasn't intuitively obvious to me that it should work that way. You click on File/Open, then specify the multiple files in the directory list. Then a save operation will convert all the files specified.

QuoteQuote:
You want to make sure you have the settings that you want for the conversion all set before saving the files because they will all receive the same adjustments when saved.
Sure.

QuoteQuote:
Also Pentax Photo Lab will save the JPG files back into the same directory as the RAW files came from. When doing individual conversions you can choose the save directory at the time of saving. Batch operations don't give you that option. Pentax Photo Lab is really a quite capable piece of RAW conversion software. I like it better than Paintshop Pro Photo X2 Deluxe for RAW conversions.
I don't use X2 for this purpose because it doesn't seem to be capable of reading the camera setting for the white balance. I was happy that X2 supported raw but I found opening raw from X2 to be pretty useless in practice. I generally export to jpeg using the pentax software then edit the jpeg with X2 if I want to go to a specific (smaller) size e.g. for web.

QuoteQuote:
Note: Pentax Photo Lab converts the actual RAW file and not just the low resolution JPG that accompanies the RAW file.
Yes, I knew that. Sorry, my post was confusing because I was talking about two pieces of software without being specific. The "extract jpeg" feature is in "Photo Browser" not "Photo Lab". What I didn't know was that I could open many images in Photo lab. I was expecting to use Photo Browser to specify a batch from the thumbnails and then launch Photo Lab to process them automatically.

My main annoyance with Photo Lab is that there's no context menu shortcut. I can make one manually with "Send To" but I don't understand why Pentax only provided a context shortcut to Photo Browser.

Thanks Wheatfield and Jim for your responses.

Rob

01-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

One more thing, If you choose full auto processing, the program hides all of the adjustment tools, so if you want any control over how the files are processed you need to change the processing mode to "Custom Processing"

I also choose the 16 bit TIFF file to convert to if I'm going to do any further processing with X2, since it is a lossless file format. You can edit the TIFF and save it as many times as you need with no data loss. I am told that the JPEG files, on the other hand will degrade a little with each save. So I don't save to JPEG format until I'm completely finished editing.

Last edited by jimH; 01-25-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added TIF info
01-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
One more thing, If you choose full auto processing, the program hides all of the adjustment tools, so if you want any control over how the files are processed you need to change the processing mode to "Custom Processing"
Yep, but I'd only use custom mode when processing a single image.

QuoteQuote:
I also choose the 16 bit TIFF file to convert to if I'm going to do any further processing with X2, since it is a lossless file format. You can edit the TIFF and save it as many times as you need with no data loss. I am told that the JPEG files, on the other hand will degrade a little with each save. So I don't save to JPEG format until I'm completely finished editing.
If I wanted to print an image to the maximum size possible I would certainly use this approach. It is absolutely true that jpg loses data, that's how it compresses images so well. However, the edits I have mostly been doing of jpegs are for facebook which is extremely low resolution, so starting with a jpeg is fine. Even for a 6x4 (20x10cm) print it's acceptable, just not if I want to print to A4 or larger. The other reason I have used jpg format is to maintain the EXIF data which is lost if you go to TIFF.

Rob
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If I wanted to print an image to the maximum size possible I would certainly use this approach. It is absolutely true that jpg loses data, that's how it compresses images so well.
The dangers of jpeg are a little overblown.
If you save at minimum compression you can open, work on and save a file as jpeg a surprisingly large number of times before it becomes a problem for printing.

01-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The dangers of jpeg are a little overblown.
If you save at minimum compression you can open, work on and save a file as jpeg a surprisingly large number of times before it becomes a problem for printing.
The key being "at minimum compression".