Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Is this corrent that Niksoftware Viveza is not a standalone software?
That's correct. It is a plugin for PS, Lightroom and Aperture.

01-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #32

Original Poster
I got it to work. LOVE IT!!

This is what I was looking for.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mediachoice Dynamic Photo HDR v4.6
Adobe Photoshop CS2 and CS4
Fast Picture Viewer 64bit
Sigma Pro Photo 3
NeatImage
DigiTools for Photoshop of course, lol.
01-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
MGV

Bibble 5 (now, was 4.10), Photoshop elements 6.0

01-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

DxO, Lightroom and Media Expression.
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I use Capture One. Don't like Lightroom's catalogue feature (it is just me). Read DxO is quite good also.
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #37

I use Adobe Photoshop CSS2 & CS4.
Dynamic Photo-HDR
ImageMagick
DigiTools for Photoshop
FastPicture Viewer 64
LightBox 2.0
NeatImage

I also use GIMP and/or Paint.Net on occasion. But a majority of the work I do ends in print, so I really have no choice other then Photoshop since it is the only software with soft proofing and totally profile aware.

If not going for print, GIMP or Paint.Net offer pretty much everything PS does, but both cost nothing.

The newest program I have been toying with is LightBox. v2.0 is free now with v3.0 being sold for a discount currently at $39.95(saves you $10). So far it is a nice software. Very much reminds me of Adobe LightRoom! I am thinking of purchasing v3.0 as it is fully profile aware which means it will be suitable for editing for print and it edits natively in 48bit!! I don't always need all the benefits of PS and LB is quicker to load and faster to process.
Sagelight 48-bit Image Editor 3.0

01-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #38

Original Poster
I think all those programs are great, but there is no program out there for Pentax RAW format, that can modify a RAW files like Capture NX2 does with Nikon RAW files.
01-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
I use Adobe Photoshop CSS2 & CS4.

I also use GIMP and/or Paint.Net on occasion. But a majority of the work I do ends in print, so I really have no choice other then Photoshop since it is the only software with soft proofing and totally profile aware.

If not going for print, GIMP or Paint.Net offer pretty much everything PS does, but both cost nothing.
[/url]
As you are using some open source software here are a couple of options here. If you use the (thoroughly excellent) Digikam for DAM/basic editing/raw conversion that is fully colour aware and capablwe of soft proofing. You can call out to GIMP from this for layer based editing and optionally, either with or without Digikam, print through Photoprint which provides an excellent colour aware printing tool that has its own softproof window as well. So thats at least two ways of getting softproof into a free workflow
01-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
I think all those programs are great, but there is no program out there for Pentax RAW format, that can modify a RAW files like Capture NX2 does with Nikon RAW files.
Not sure what you mean by "modify" a RAW file. The only thing Capture NX ever modifies about a RAW file is the metadata within it (EXIF/IPTC, plus your adjustment settings) and the JPEG preview embedded within the file tht other applications sometimes use to temporarily display an image if they don't want to actually process the RAW data themselves. But it does not modify the image data - that would defeat the point of being RAW. Lightroom and the other Adobe products can all do the same for Pentax if you use DNG; I suspect others can or will too. That is, they will alter metadata in the file, and optionally update the JPEG preview as well.
01-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #41

Raw Therapee
Gimp with many Plug-ins
01-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by gwing Quote
As you are using some open source software here are a couple of options here. If you use the (thoroughly excellent) Digikam for DAM/basic editing/raw conversion that is fully colour aware and capablwe of soft proofing. You can call out to GIMP from this for layer based editing and optionally, either with or without Digikam, print through Photoprint which provides an excellent colour aware printing tool that has its own softproof window as well. So thats at least two ways of getting softproof into a free workflow
Yes, I am aware of other ways, but they are far too much of a hassle IMHO. I don't have the extra time to be bouncing all over the place, hence why PS is the only real choice.
01-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #43

Photos: Albums
In this order:
  1. Adobe Photoshop CS4 *
  2. IDimager
  3. Paint.net

*update 30.01.10: just replaced PS2 with PS4

Last edited by KirstenH; 01-30-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: newer photoshop version
02-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #44

Photoshop CS4 with niksoftware plugins.
Best Combination
02-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I like capture one (V4) I don't do any photo manipulation to speak of. Clone out the occasional piece of trash with elements.