Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help in finding file

In a previous thread I found this post with info on correcting problems with DCU4.

Application Error... ptxutl40.exe

This message appears while launching "Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4", supplied with your new K7 or K-x. Three options are offered: Message to Microsoft, Do not send and Debug. None of them does the problem.

Also the common next steps:

1. Try to launch again
2. Reboot and lauch again
3. Reinstall
4. Installing the update (4.11)
5. Uninstall of DCU4, deleting the programm folder and cleaning of windows registry

Don't waste your time - here is a suitable solution.

My last activity was marking about 200 files with the build-in markers. Without further action i had to close DCU4. From then DCU4 ended every launching in crashing.

A deep quest in XP's own (and normally hidden) folders brought the cause: If you mark pictures DCU4 creates a CheckInfo.ini file. If you rename, delete or empty this file launching DCU4 will work normally... until you mark some pictures!

You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

My problem now is trying to find the CheckInfo.ini file. You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>" I'm running Vista and also can't find the documents and settings file.
Any computer gurus out there that can point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Susan

01-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

First of all; Documents and Settings is a folder that is hidden by default in Vista and Windows 7. You would need to unhide these before you can see them. The second problem you have is that in Vista and Windows 7 you cannot access them even if you unhide them. You would need to change the permissions on the folder and sub folders to get access to the folder in question.

I am not in front of my computer now (working off an iPhone) but you might want to try and look for a folder called "Users" instead of Documents and Settings. I can't remember whether this folder is hidden as well but it doesn't have the permissions issue if I remember correctly. After Users the rest of the folder path is the same as mentioned for Documents and Settings.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If all you want to do is delete the file in question, use the search function in Windows Explorer but make sure you use the advanced option to search hidden and system files as well. Once found, you can delete or rename the file as per normal.
01-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for getting back to me Rene. I already tried the search function and it turned up nothing. As a matter of fact, it couldn't find DCU4 and I have no idea why. I followed the path through users as you suggested and there is no .ini file. There are almost no files in the folder at all, just some empty folders and some things written to the notepad. I'll keep poking around and try to find the file but I'm thinking I will have to write off the DCU. Thanks for trying anyway. I hate technology. Susan
01-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

You could try a bit of software called Everything Search. It indexes all your files in a heartbeat and finds anything very quickly. Do a search for it in Google. It runs in your system tray (you'll see a little icon after you've installed it in the tray where your clock is on your taskbar).

01-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again Rene.
01-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Did you find the file? Here's another method without downloading anything.

Open an admin command prompt (Windows Vista run command prompt as administrator)
Type "cd \" at the prompt and press enter. You should be at a C:\> prompt.

Type "dir checkinfo.ini /s/a/b". This will search the entire drive, including all hidden and system files, for that file.

Or, to just go ahead and delete them, "del checkinfo.ini /s/a"
01-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Did you find the file? Here's another method without downloading anything.

Open an admin command prompt (Windows Vista run command prompt as administrator)
Type "cd \" at the prompt and press enter. You should be at a C:\> prompt.

Type "dir checkinfo.ini /s/a/b". This will search the entire drive, including all hidden and system files, for that file.

Or, to just go ahead and delete them, "del checkinfo.ini /s/a"
I didn't find the file as I didn't want to download an unfamiliar program. I did as you suggested but the system could not find the file.
I really appreciate your help. Maybe the missing file is why DCU4 won't work???? I'll have to stick with PS Elements which isn't a bad thing.