Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&W conversion comments No2?

This is the toughest kind of shot for me: extreme contrast and fine detail of dark against light background. This is also the kind of B&W shot I really enjoy. It's more a conversion issue than a "critique," so any comments on the workflow, end result and anything else that occurs to you are more than welcomed. I've included the original for comparison. A B&W conversion using PS CS4, auto tone/hue/color, USM then B&W Adjustment and finally a copy layer for S/H partially "erased." Thanks,
Brian

01-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Damn Brit

With a shot like this I think going overboard with the contrast would be a good idea. The triangle of roof being centered does have some compositional merit so I don't mind commenting.
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Brit, thanks for the input,
Brian
01-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I agree that a bit stronger contrast might be nice.

Also: The composition might be made stronger by cropping. Instead of a 5x7 shape, try a perfectly square crop, with the base of the dark triangle filling the bottom of the frame. For example:

Last edited by Jim Royal; 01-29-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added cropped image.
01-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jim, like the idea of square crop, but I'm concerned about how the tree branches on the right are just cut off without tapering. I'm going to try your crop but PP some of the branches out and will post.
EDITED w/CROP BELOW... in trying to boost contrast per Brit and crop as you suggested, and PP the right lower corner to not cut the branches off too abruptly, I think something just didn't work out, but it was a fun exercise,
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-30-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: ADD REVISED IMAGE