Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
efg

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I have the Ultimate and upgraded toPro X3. I like the new organiser, much better. Raw is excellent when setup is done. Handles DNG, K20, K10 but don't know about K7. The price was right, $20.00 cdn, downloaded. It was not an upgrade version but full new install. I ran both Utimate X2 and Pro X3 on a Quad and the speed is considerately faster for sure. It has very good features such as batch processing, HDR, and every adjustments found on PhotoShop. The Project Creator is very useful to load images to the web, direct access to Flickr, Youtube and Facebook, photo album and on. So far I am very please with it.
Why haven't I gotten that email?? The only "deal" I got an email for is for $59.99 USD. I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade for me until it comes down more. At least not until they add the Kx to the list for RAW.

I'm a loyal PSP user, from back in the Jasc days, and although new versions were always more fun when it was Jasc, I still usually upgrade eventually. PSP can do everything anyone could need to do with photos, and I have always found it easy to use and easy to grow with.

02-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I started using JASC PSP 2 or 3 when it was shareware, and bought upgrades to 5, 7 and 9. I was hesitant to move to 9 because it involved un- and re-learning key sequences; now, PSP 9 is my best friend, and I've hesitated moving to any of the Corel upgrades (and I even have a semi-honest download of X1 that I've never opened). I never used the Organizer - didn't like PSPIMAGE files cluttering up my folders, just run XnView to rotate and select image files. And I do my RAW processing in the Pentax RawLab.

So, my questions: If I spring for X3, will I have to suffer yet another keystroke un- and re-learning curve? Is X3's onboard RAW editing superior to RawLab for my K20 files? Do I really get sets of new tools equivalent in scope to PSP9's goodies for optical distortion and defishing? I have yet to look at the product description, but will I see anything about stitching, animations, 3D image mapping?

I mention the last because I'd like to be able to build a 3D object whose perspective-distorted sides are mapped from stills. Can this be done in X3, or in any cheap/free software known to Pentaxians?

EDIT: I just looked at the Corel site, and don't see mention of stitching, animation, 3D. Bother. I also read user reviews, and most complain about crashing/freezing. This doesn't sound good. What have Pentaxians experienced?

Last edited by RioRico; 02-12-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: additions
02-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I started using JASC PSP 2 or 3 when it was shareware, and bought upgrades to 5, 7 and 9. I was hesitant to move to 9 because it involved un- and re-learning key sequences; now, PSP 9 is my best friend, and I've hesitated moving to any of the Corel upgrades (and I even have a semi-honest download of X1 that I've never opened). I never used the Organizer - didn't like PSPIMAGE files cluttering up my folders, just run XnView to rotate and select image files. And I do my RAW processing in the Pentax RawLab.

So, my questions: If I spring for X3, will I have to suffer yet another keystroke un- and re-learning curve? Is X3's onboard RAW editing superior to RawLab for my K20 files? Do I really get sets of new tools equivalent in scope to PSP9's goodies for optical distortion and defishing? I have yet to look at the product description, but will I see anything about stitching, animations, 3D image mapping?

I mention the last because I'd like to be able to build a 3D object whose perspective-distorted sides are mapped from stills. Can this be done in X3, or in any cheap/free software known to Pentaxians?

EDIT: I just looked at the Corel site, and don't see mention of stitching, animation, 3D. Bother. I also read user reviews, and most complain about crashing/freezing. This doesn't sound good. What have Pentaxians experienced?

No Problem at all on Windows 7 64bits.
02-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I don't do 3D mapping but have not noticed anything in that area.

With respect to crashng and freezing, I have yet to have this happen after 2 weeks with X3, It would happen occasionally with all corel versions prior to that, the most frequent for me would be after a large number of crop functions.

with respect to the other controls, I dont know version 9, I started with version 8 and skipped to 10.

in terms of menus and functions, they are all similar from version 10 upwards, with controls being easier beginning in version 11. (version 10 is kind of a bridge between old and new)

lens distortion functions, to my knowledge have not changed and are pretty good for both barrel and perspective distortion,

PF removal is not very good, has never been, but if you use the CA removal tool it is excellent and offers enough control to address specifically what you need to, you can control radius of adjustment and select direct out of the image multiple adjustment ranges.

organozer has changed a lot since V8, with the biggest change coming in V11, since then it has been stable, and has its own indexing file. this is not on the image directory. Upgrading to V13 from 12 did not require rebuilding th eimage directory which is a first, and with 40K images that took a lot of time in the past.

Overall I am pleased with all the versions I had, but liked Version X the least.

02-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Overall I am pleased with all the versions I had, but liked Version X the least.
Thanks for all that. I guess my query is: Is X3 a quantum leap or a set of tweaks? Do you feel you get a lot more from X3 than you did from v.10? Is it really worth it? I mean, for the retail price of X3, I could get several more old lenses, heh heh.
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by efg Quote
Why haven't I gotten that email?? The only "deal" I got an email for is for $59.99 USD. I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade for me until it comes down more. At least not until they add the Kx to the list for RAW.

I'm a loyal PSP user, from back in the Jasc days, and although new versions were always more fun when it was Jasc, I still usually upgrade eventually. PSP can do everything anyone could need to do with photos, and I have always found it easy to use and easy to grow with.
I haven't been offered *any* deal, and a few months ago I finally upgraded my X2 to Ultimate after a cheap offer from Corel. I just downloaded the trial, and an upgrade costs $69.99. I guess if I like it enough to upgrade, I'll wait till Corel offers me a better price.
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I haven't been offered *any* deal, and a few months ago I finally upgraded my X2 to Ultimate after a cheap offer from Corel. I just downloaded the trial, and an upgrade costs $69.99. I guess if I like it enough to upgrade, I'll wait till Corel offers me a better price.
I got an offer from Corel valid for only one week, 19.99cdn for X3 upgrade. I opted for the download version as the price for the full box was 29.99cdn with shipping not included. The download version turnout to be a full install so my X2 version is still fully functional. I don't know why I was selected for this offer but for the price I could not turn it down. I am very happy with the changes in the new version. Parts of it are the same but many new features are available such as raw mode adjustment, express lab, the separate organizer and the creator mode program. Works very well so far.

02-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I got an offer from Corel valid for only one week, 19.99cdn for X3 upgrade. I opted for the download version as the price for the full box was 29.99cdn with shipping not included. The download version turnout to be a full install so my X2 version is still fully functional. I don't know why I was selected for this offer but for the price I could not turn it down. I am very happy with the changes in the new version. Parts of it are the same but many new features are available such as raw mode adjustment, express lab, the separate organizer and the creator mode program. Works very well so far.
Yeah, I wouldn't turn that offer down either. The upgrade download is $69.99US, which really, is still a good deal, but not as enticing when I have a working X2Ultimate installation. I sure wish Corel would send me an offer like that, as I installed the trial yesterday and have to admit I do like it!
02-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

These are the supported Pentax Cameras in Corel PP X3 Pro. Some people were wandering if K7 is supported. I have included the link to the full list below.

Pentax *ist D
Pentax *ist DL
Pentax *ist DL2
Pentax *ist DS
Pentax *ist DS2
Pentax K100D
Pentax K100D Super
Pentax K10D
Pentax K2000/K-m
Pentax K200D
Pentax K20D
Pentax K-7
Pentax Optio 33WR
Pentax Optio 750Z
Pentax Optio S
Pentax Optio S4

PaintShop Photo X3 Pro RAW file camera support
02-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all that. I guess my query is: Is X3 a quantum leap or a set of tweaks? Do you feel you get a lot more from X3 than you did from v.10? Is it really worth it? I mean, for the retail price of X3, I could get several more old lenses, heh heh.
overall the raw processing is a quantum leap.

otherwise it is a set pf tweaks over V11 because the other wise it was pretty good.

V11 is a good step ahead ov V10 in many aspects.

so overall

V11 over 10 is a big step
V12 and 12Ultimate seem to be tweeks over 11
V13 is a quantum step in raw processing over all other versions
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Coupon Code!

I just found a working coupon code for $20 off PSP X3. It brings the $69.99 upgrade price down to $49.99. The code is: BONUSBUCKS20

The "apply" button doesn't work for me in Firefox or IE8. But if you press Enter after typing in the code, it works.

Even though $50 is better than $70, I still haven't pulled the trigger. I want it cheaper!!
02-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #27
efg

I just found a working coupon code for $20 off PSP X3. It brings the $69.99 upgrade price down to $49.99. The code is: BONUSBUCKS20

The "apply" button doesn't work for me in Firefox or IE8. But if you press Enter after typing in the code, it works.

Even though $50 is better than $70, I still haven't pulled the trigger. I want it cheaper!!
Yes I think it's a common quality for us PSP users. We are all cheapskates. That's how we got here. ; )

Thanks for the code. Thinking about it....
02-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #28

I wonder if the code BONUSBUCKS50 would would take $50 off the price.
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
I wonder if the code BONUSBUCKS50 would would take $50 off the price.
Nope, and it has to be all caps.

BTW, I upgraded from X2 to X2Ultimate in early December, so I just called Corel and asked for the $19.99 X3 upgrade. They gave it to me, saying that anyone who's bought PSP within the last 90 days is eligible for the ~$20 upgrade.
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nope, and it has to be all caps.

BTW, I upgraded from X2 to X2Ultimate in early December, so I just called Corel and asked for the $19.99 X3 upgrade. They gave it to me, saying that anyone who's bought PSP within the last 90 days is eligible for the ~$20 upgrade.
Truly? Hrm... *eyeing* I just found a good deal on the X2 Ultimate.... just maybe I can get that upgrade price and do quite well. Thanks, Twocat. Worth a try, I think.

(joining cheapskate PSP club. )