Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DxO doesn't correct images/ Am I doing sth. wrong?

I recently got myself DxO v5(.3) to see what it can do - but unfortunately it doesn't do anything.
I've downloaded the camera and lens profile/package/whatever and installed them. I then chose the "DxO Standard preset" and let DxO develop my pictures. But aside from some minor contrast enhancements and slightly reduced CAs they come out unchanged.
I've tried JPEGs, TIFFs, PNGs and DNGs - only difference is that it doesn't open PNGs.
Their manual and even more their website isn't of much help. Nowhere I've searched they mentioned how to use this lens-correction.
In the "Prepare" window every preset is locked and I think the one time it wasn't there was still no visible correction.

So does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

01-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some possible things to check are:
- You are using a RAW file, not JPEG
- Try it with a PEF file and see if it works better
- DxO insists on being the first to touch the image. If it has been "developed" by anything else, it won't work. You can post develop with it, but for keystone distortion and such only.
- Take some fresh pictures indoors with the DA* 16-50. You might get results such as I did - check my Flickr site for a set I took indoors. I show the RAW (converted to jpg for Flickr, of course), DxO auto process and DxO keystone corrections on an image I took in my living room during renovations.
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've seen your samples and that's one of the reasons while I'm dissappointed (for now) - I know the 16-50 heavily distorts at 16mm so I expected some major changes.

Hhmmm, DxO tells otherwise: in their manual they say it can either be used first or pictures can be developed in Lightroom and imported afterwards.

PEF is not an option as I don't have a "real" Pentax
Oh, and I was wrong: it does display and import DNGs but only from Lightroom - if I want to open the folders directly it just does nothing.
And even if I got the DNGs in the list it still won't work because everything it says when hovering over the image "This image contains no known colour data and can not be processed (own translation - i get the message in german)".

I'll try later with new files.

Last edited by Egg Salad; 01-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be a real bummer if DxO won't take out of Pentax DNGs. I'll have to check that out here.

01-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, still the same: can't import DNGs if it's not done through Lightroom catalogues. Even then I've the same problem as before - picture can't be processed because of unknown colour data.
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
No, still the same: can't import DNGs if it's not done through Lightroom catalogues. Even then I've the same problem as before - picture can't be processed because of unknown colour data.
I notice your comment that you don't own a "real Pentax" - that could be the problem right there. DxO is pretty fussy on the EXIF data it expects to see. If you are using a Samsung clone, check for those modules on DxO site.
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just had a look on DxO site, and they do have the combo of GX20 and DA* 16-50 available as a module. I have DxO v6.

01-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I know that's the module I've downloaded - together with the pentax-original - just to be sure.

So it recognizes this combo perfectly and I should be covered.

Maybe I should test v6. As it it now, I wouldn't buy either of them (just testing for now).
But the weird thing is I only doesn't work with the raw-files.
Does it apply its corrections to JPEGs normally?
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
Yes I know that's the module I've downloaded - together with the pentax-original - just to be sure.

So it recognizes this combo perfectly and I should be covered.

Maybe I should test v6. As it it now, I wouldn't buy either of them (just testing for now).
But the weird thing is I only doesn't work with the raw-files.
Does it apply its corrections to JPEGs normally?
Try v6. Other than the download time, you have nothing to lose. It's still a download for test application. I have no idea why it would not work for you. As you saw, it works perfectly with my images, and all I did was install it and add the modules.

I just had another thought. You can turn bits and pieces of the process on and off. Make sure the [Distortion] section is turned on, and correction is set to [Automatic with DxO Optics Module]

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-28-2010 at 04:19 PM.
01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like I'm just trying v6 then.
I'll let you know if that changes anything then.

Thanks

Update:
So I downloaded and installed V6 and it's simply working great. Didn't have to change any setting just dragged the images in (DNG files) and it automatically corrects for pretty much everthing.

Must have been a compability issue before. Now I only have to see if it's worth the price - I only have one supported lens (18-55 doesn't count).

Last edited by Egg Salad; 02-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.