Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #1

DxO for Pentax K-7 now available

Here is the link : For the Pentax K7 on the WIN platform, you need DxO Optics Pro Standard v6

Now, what does it do for us ? No idea, never played with DxO.
Btw, only 2 lenses supported, and the 18-55 WR kit lens isn't one of them (unless it is the very same as the non-weather resistant version)

I'm just happy that yet another software developer acknowledges Pentax by supporting it. Yay !

01-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It does a lot of excellent things. Just look for DxO threads with the 'search' function.
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PurpleDragon Quote
Now, what does it do for us ? No idea, never played with DxO.
Btw, only 2 lenses supported, and the 18-55 WR kit lens isn't one of them (unless it is the very same as the non-weather resistant version)
The WR kit lens is optically the same as the AL II. But it would be interesting to know whether DxO recognizes the WR as AL II; then I might get a WR for my K200D!
01-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now, what does it do for us ?

Btw, only 2 lenses supported
This is their plan for forthcoming lens support:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm f/4 Standard/Elite
Pentax K-7 Samsung 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 or Tamron AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) or Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Standard/Elite
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Standard/Elite
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 50-135mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM Standard/Elite
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Standard/Elite
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
And btw, it does wonders for lenses like 18-250.

01-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys...
This is good info, and as I am still very new to the DSLR world, I have yet to have my heart set on one particular software.
My options are (in order of preference) :
. Lightroom 3
. DxO 6.1.2
. CaptureOne 5

Oh, and I can only afford one !
I currently use Picasa and ACDSee Pro 2.5, which kinda-sorta works for me (they both do video, which none of the heavies above do). I also have Elements 7, just fine for my editing needs.

Cheers !
PS : Thank you Falconeye for your extended review on the Pentax K-7. You really help me in my decision in buying that camera (for info, my other choice at the time was a D90)
01-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

. Lightroom 3
. DxO 6.1.2
. CaptureOne 5
Thanxs for the nice words.

I don't know which software I would use if I only could afford one. I use LR on a regular base (it is my standard workflow) and use DxO as a preprocessor only for supported lenses which would yield mediocre results otherwise (like 18-55, 50-200 or 18-250 -- where I only use the last).

To complicate matters, let me add that I heard good stuff about the newest release of Bibble.
02-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
And btw, it does wonders for lenses like 18-250.
Do you know whether it support both Pentax and Tamron versions of that lens?

Is the effect better than a combination of PTLens and some Lightroom CA correction?

Would it be possible for you to post a sample "before" and "after" comparison for that particular lens?

For a long time I thought I don't need more than Picasa and the very occasional GIMP, but trying Lightroom 3 really developed my appetite for its quick to apply but effective tools. I wish it were better in terms of performance but in terms of functionality it offers everything I missed from Picasa and more.
02-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
1. Do you know whether it support both Pentax and Tamron versions of that lens?

2. Is the effect better than a combination of PTLens and some Lightroom CA correction?

3. Would it be possible for you to post a sample "before" and "after" comparison for that particular lens?
My first post in this thread contained the answer (yes).

Yes. By how much is difficult to judge as PTLens + LR-CA + LR-Vignetting can be difficult to do in an optimal manner. But even if, there is one function which cannot be obtained from any of the other programs: Deconvolution of local lens aberration. This looks like sharpening (which is separately available in DxO just as it is in LR) but isn't: it really recovers additional detail. Like what FocusMagic can do for out of focus images.

However, DxO then applies aggressive noise reduction at higher ISO levels (deconvolution would mathematically become unstable otherwise) and it does so even if noise reduction is disabled! Therefore, DxO outperforms its peers only for low ISO.

But at low ISO and for a supported lens, the results are almost like replacing a kit zoom by a DA* zoom And there is no DA* 18-250

Because DxO is beneficial only for some of my shots, I use it as a preproduction (import) filter, just like I do my geotagging. The drawback then is that it blows DNG up to linear raw which is 3 times as big.

googling "dxo falconeye siteentaxforums.com" yields (1st hit):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...mparisons.html
However, I do realize now that the images are gone. pic-upload.de broke their promise that content would not expire. I actually complained with them and they are telling that the files were downloaded too often

I will update the broken links as soon as I find the originals. I know I posted another comparison but cannot find it anymore.

02-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

But at low ISO and for a supported lens, the results are almost like replacing a kit zoom by a DA* zoom And there is no DA* 18-250
I actually returned a DA 16-45mm (not a DA*, but a very sharp lens) because its output didn't look better than the DxO-ed pics taken with my kit lens. Plus, the DxO can better the output of non-supported lenses, although to a much lesser extent than in the case of supported lenses. (Still, some non-supported lenses seem to benefit more than others from the DxO's contribution.)
I also like the possibility of creating various lighting effects--I've configured some presets that deepen/attenuate shadows, etc. I no longer need to manually tweak the tones (in 99% of situations).
As far as I'm concerned, DxO is worth the money even if one doesn't have any supported lens. But it takes some time to explore its capabilities.
02-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I also like the possibility of creating various lighting effects--I've configured some presets that deepen/attenuate shadows, etc. I no longer need to manually tweak the tones (in 99% of situations).
That's true. But to be fair, other raw converters have similiar capabilities.

BTW, I am wondering how DxO deals with the correction for vignetting, distortion and CA the K-7 can do in-camera ...
02-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My first post in this thread contained the answer (yes).
Sorry, I saw the list but it was at a late hour and I overlooked the Tamron entry.

Deconvolution of local lens aberration.
I'm assuming that "local" means that the effect depends on the position of an image area within the frame, so it cannot be emulated with Focus Magic. EDIT: There is a quite some information on non-uniform "lens softness" on the DxO website. It's quite impressive what they claim to correct and the sample images look very convincing.

However, DxO then applies aggressive noise reduction at higher ISO levels (deconvolution would mathematically become unstable otherwise) and it does so even if noise reduction is disabled!
Too bad.

From your depiction I get the impression that it is not possible to deselect the local deconvolution (which in turn could allow the NR to be omitted).

googling "dxo falconeye siteentaxforums.com" yields (1st hit):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...mparisons.html
Sorry, Falk, you caught me being lazy. I didn't think you might have done this (without posting a link here ) and hence didn't try. I guessed that there would be "before / after" shots available but had no hope this would be the case for the 18-250.

I will update the broken links as soon as I find the originals.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by Class A; 02-07-2010 at 02:05 AM.
02-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

From your depiction I get the impression that it is not possible to deselect the local deconvolution (which in turn could allow the NR to be omitted).
The deconvolution is called "DxO lens softness" and is one of two sections under Sharpness (the other being Unsharp mask).

It can be individually turned on/off or set to a %-value between 0 and 100.

But it is this "DxO lens softness" module which makes me (personally) use DxO.
02-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

This is their plan for forthcoming lens support: ...
Isn't it odd that when one selects the K20D, all these are supported already. Why would replacing the K20D with the K-7 require different support for the lenses?
02-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Why would replacing the K20D with the K-7 require different support for the lenses?
If they are really really serious, then it is because a lens' point spread function (PSF) differs from camera to camera, in this case because of a different anti alias filter.

But I agree with your statement. DxO lacks some excellence in this field. E.g., a lens' PSF is the convolution of the lens' PSF on air and the AA/sensor/film's PSF. Both can be measured separatley from each other (this is what Zeiss obviously does since 1930). And with each new camera, a whole bunch of lens calibration data would become available.

It is much worse with Canon etc., where there are many many bodies to be supported ...
02-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #15

Questions for "falconeye"

falconeye,

I have recently purchased DxO Optics Pro 6, and am now using it with my Panasonic DMC-LX3 RW2 "raw" images. Have processed a fair number at this point, and I am liking what I see ...

I have taken great interest in DxO's implementation of "deconvolution deblurring" in their Lens Softness" correction (for module-supported "raw" only).

You seem to know more about the specifics of this than many folks. The DxO web-site says little or nothing. A DxO Tech Support Rep spoke a bit about it a replying email. I recently found this statement:

.... " ... that fix for softness is really just deconvolution. However, unique to DxO, their deconvolution solutions are calibrated for each color channel (RGB), calibrated across the focal length of the lens, and calibrated across the entire field of view." ...
(-b shaw, Sep 4 2009, 02:56)
Adobe CR v DxO - Dyxum forums - Page 1

Do you know whether this is accurate information quoted above? Do you know any other interesting facts about "DD" in DxO's "Lens Softness" corrections?

Also, you state (above in this thread):

"DxO then applies aggressive noise reduction at higher ISO levels (deconvolution would mathematically become unstable otherwise) and it does so even if noise reduction is disabled!"

How do you know this? From solid personal processing experience? From another source? I have assumed that the NR unchecked means "NR Off" ... If this is the case, do you know (or have you observed) any particular ISO levels (and for which camera/lenses, I suppose I should also ask) at which this "silent NR" begins to take place?

You might find some of my posts interesting (with sample processed RW2 "raw" image-files) about the DMC-LX3, Dxo Optics Pro 6 - and a few of comparison with the Silkypix DS 3.021 SE that comes with Panasonic ("raw" recording) cameras - on the thread currently ending at:
Ricoh Forum • View topic - Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3