Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #1

Software Question - NikSoftware

Hi Everyone,

Is there a software out there that is similar to this tool?
Precise Selective Photo Editing

I came from Nikon D40, using Capture NX2 and it was amazing. Wondering if there is any other product that is similar.

Thanks.

Peter

01-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think NikSoftware owns the U-point technology you are referring to and licensed it to Nikon for Capture NX2. I don't know of any other application that works this way. Perhaps it is a idea to stay with Nik and get Lightroom or Aperture so you can get Viveza as a plug in and perhaps some of the other plug ins? Both programs are quite good at organizing your photo's and have their one tools for non destructive editing.

By the way I just noticed you posted this in the Pentax DSLR Discussion. I think you will have more luck getting answers from members more knowledgeable than me in the Post Processing section...
01-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Please be careful where you start threads. If you're not sure, post in Everything Else, thanks.

Moved to Post Processing.
01-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LightZone from Lightcrafts comes to mind. It's not really the same, but will do some similar functions. You also don't need to have another program (like Photoshop) to use it. I used it mainly for darker shots or ones where I need to make different adjustments to regions of a photo.

The biggest problem with LightZone is that it is written in Java, which means it's a slow memory hog. Make sure you have at least 1 GB of RAM and aren't running anything else that's system intensive. That said, I've gotten some impressive edits from photos I thought where lost using this program.

01-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The general idea of non-destructive editing isn't really unque - quite a few programs do that. The general idea of allowing non-destructive editing on selections is a little less common. Lightroom can do some of this, I think Bibble 5 can do a bit more.